Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mainboard decision help

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Mainboard decision help

So as I wrote an hour ago, my barebone quit working today, so I have need for a new mainboard. What I need is:

- socket 754
    - AGP
    - usb 2.0
    - firewire
    - onboard network chip

I figured out that these demands are met by:

MSI K8N Neo Platinum Edition 54G
    and
    MSI K8T Neo-FIS2R (Sound, Gigabit-LAN, FW, IDE/SATA-RAID)

Does anyone have experience with running these products with Ubuntu. I will be running Breezy Badger (32 bit).

Best regards,
    ember

Beans

Re: Mainboard decision help

Quote Originally Posted by ember
    So as I wrote an hour ago, my barebone quit working today, so I have need for a new mainboard. What I need is:

- socket 754
    - AGP
    - usb 2.0
    - firewire
    - onboard network chip

I figured out that these demands are met by:

MSI K8N Neo Platinum Edition 54G
    and
    MSI K8T Neo-FIS2R (Sound, Gigabit-LAN, FW, IDE/SATA-RAID)

Does anyone have experience with running these products with Ubuntu. I will be running Breezy Badger (32 bit).

Best regards,
    ember
    If I can make a suggestion, I would go with Asus before MSI. Even a Gigabyte board would be better. You should consider a Nvidia NForce3 chipset because you want AGP and also because Nvidia chipsets are very compatible with Linux plus you could pick up those boards for a very competitive price because they are so common. Just my 2 cents.
    Manually installing software and setting up your system is always preferable. However, there is not one thing wrong with using Automatix for getting it done the easy way. Get Automatix2 Support Here

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

I'm running an MSI K8N Neo Platinum (without the 54G, they added that later) and it's fine really.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by mstlyevil
    If I can make a suggestion, I would go with Asus before MSI. Even a Gigabyte board would be better. You should consider a Nvidia NForce3 chipset because you want AGP and also because Nvidia chipsets are very compatible with Linux plus you could pick up those boards for a very competitive price because they are so common. Just my 2 cents.
    I saw no ASUS board with AGP and Firewire. Can you point out one? I'd be happy to consider it.

@Raptor:
    Thanks.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ember
    I saw no ASUS board with AGP and Firewire. Can you point out one? I'd be happy to consider it.

@Raptor:
    Thanks.
    I didn't find a ASUS board with firewire but I did find a DFI board with it and 2 SATA interface slots. DFI makes some of the highest quality boards for the market and this one is a good price. If you still use a PATA hard drive this board will support that also but will allow you to upgrade to SATA later.

DFI Board on Newegg
    Manually installing software and setting up your system is always preferable. However, there is not one thing wrong with using Automatix for getting it done the easy way. Get Automatix2 Support Here

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Pretty much all socket 754 chipsets support both SATA and PATA. I can find lots with Firewire anyway.

Right now, you are linking to a VIA chipset by the way; I'd still advise you to go with the MSI K8N or any other nForce 3-based motherboard since they seem to run perfectly out of the box.
    Last edited by RaptorRaider; February 22nd, 2006 at 02:37 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorRaider
    Pretty much all socket 754 chipsets support both SATA and PATA. I can find tons with Firewire anyway.

Right now, you are linking to a VIA chipset by the way; I'd still advise you to go with the MSI since it runs perfectly out of the box.
    I found some that did not have SATA. And I told Neweggs search to look for Nforce 3. I blame their Windows servers.

Edit: I found this one with a NForce 3 chipset

Newegg.com DFI NForce3

I know a lot of people that have had trouble with MSI including myself. I personaly do not recommend them.
    Last edited by mstlyevil; February 22nd, 2006 at 02:41 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

I doubt he'll be very interested in Newegg anyway - he seems to live in Germany.

A quick and short list of nForce 3 motherboard with Firewire I found in 10 seconds (still selling in the Netherlands so they should be in Germany too):
    Asus K8N-E Deluxe
    DFI Lanparty UT nF3 250Gb
    GigaByte GA-K8NNXP
    MSI K8N Neo Platinum
    Shuttle AN51R

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorRaider
    I doubt he'll be very interested in Newegg anyway - he seems to live in Germany.

A quick and short list of nForce 3 motherboard with Firewire I found in 10 seconds (still selling in the Netherlands so they should be in Germany too):
    I Probally should ask where they live first.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Right, I do live in Germany, in Karlsruhe namely. I will have to look for a serious store selling the recommendations made by raptor. At Alternate and our local stores they only sell the MSI board.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast