Thread: K9 copy help

Beans

Talking K9 copy help

Hi,

I have been using Ubuntu for a month now and gradually learning how to use it, after slowly migrating over and hopefully leaving MS for good. Been a MS power user for many, many years, but an Ubuntu newbie at present, so any help gratefully appreciated.

In ripping DVD's in windows I used to use DVDFab and DVD shrink to quickly preview any movies I had ripped to ensure all ok without having to go through whole movie.

Anyway just started using K9copy for this in Ubuntu (also using DVDFab with Wine, but cannot burn directly to blank DVD, which I understand is long standing problem with Wine?).

So a few questions with K9copy:-

1. When I first opened it it had about 3 tabs including preview. However I then maximised these and clicked the X. I assumed then they would resize back into the application. However they then dissapeared and have not reappeared since.

I have tried uninstalling, and reinstalling but still have not reappeared.

I would like to get the preview tab back as this may allow me to quickly preview movie, as I could do with DVD shrink.

However not a major problem as I am also able to use DVD shrink through Wine for this purpose, but it would be nice to be able to do and get back the tabs as they were when first installed.

Perhaps this is a problem as K9copy is a KDE application?

2. In Windows I would delete the original program file folder. So I would do this in Ubuntu but as a newbie not sure where K9copy or in fact any other application is actually stored? Is there an easy way to find out where apps are stored in Ubuntu?

3. When ripping with K9copy it rips the DVD to a temp folder on HDD, and then asks to insert recordable DVD even though one is inserted in drive. Is there anyway to not have this dialogue box and so have an unattended rip as with DVDFab?

Thanks for help.

Working with Ubuntu feels like being a common user again!!!??

Hoping can get to guru status asap!!

Love the amount of work, and support people give freely to in the Linux project. Hope I can give back as well once I know a little more.

From what I have seen so far of Ubuntu it rocks, although takes a while to find way around and especially get the look I like, but that is one of the great things about having so much control and choice in the OS which ubuntu gives you, compared to MS and Apple Mac.

Michael

Beans

Re: K9 copy help

You should be able to get the tabs back by right clicking on any remaining tabs, which should show a list of all the sections you can make visible / remove. If this doesn't work, you can always delete the configuration file which in this case is /home/john/.kde4/share/config/K9Copy. I'm not sure about the 'insert a recordable dvd' problem.
    Last edited by benerivo; December 1st, 2009 at 08:18 PM. Reason: really bad typos

Beans

Thanks for your help Benerivo I will try that later.

Also does anyone know how good K9copy is at stripping out copy protections? DVDFab is very good and seems to strip out the latest copy protections, how does K9copy compare?

Thanks

Michael

Beans

Thanks benerivo I tried the K9copy menu help you gave and voila, preview menu back.

So easy when you know how!!

Regards

Michael