Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Please I NEED the attention of the kernel team

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Exclamation Please I NEED the attention of the kernel team

I do not understand why I cannot get the attention of the kernel team. Karmic Koala is freezing on me several times a day. I am bending over backwards to provide documentation. I am willing to run any test that is suggested, but I just cannot get any response from the developers.

Once again I am posting this message from MICROSOFT VISTA because my Ubuntu system has frozen again!

I cannot continue using Ubuntu without a resolution of this problem.

I have reported the problem through Apport but have received no acknowledgement. I believe that the problem is probably specific to the Intel 845GV chipset on my motherboard, but that chipset is deployed in millions of computers. I have even considered replacing my motherboard, but all of the new motherboards take SATA drives, so I would have to replace the whole bloody system and copy all of my data over to resolve the problem through a hardware fix, so it is not just a few hundred dollars, it is also much of a day of lost productivity. And although the cost for me to implement that hardware fix would probably be less than the cost to the development team to figure out what is wrong in the kernel driver for that chipset and fix it, they would be left with a buggy kernel which would inflict this problem on the next person to try using a computer with an 845 chipset, and they would have lost my cooperation in debugging the problem.

Please. I am trying not to lose my temper, but if I cannot get a resolution soon I may start behaving in an intemperate and unproductive way.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Please I NEED the attention of the kernel team

so you can boot and after a while it freezes?
    Keep your important files in HOSTS when ubuntu is installed with WUBI
    How to install ANYTHING in Ubuntu!
    'No PUB KEY' error? Try this!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by jcobban View Post
    I do not understand why I cannot get the attention of the kernel team. Karmic Koala is freezing on me several times a day. I am bending over backwards to provide documentation. I am willing to run any test that is suggested, but I just cannot get any response from the developers.
    Really, what is the Launchpad bug number that you have created?

It is totally pointless posting such things here, as this is a forum of Ubuntu users trying to help other Ubuntu users.
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Does this thread shed any light on the issue?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1027080
    Learn something new and have fun every day! Ubuntu!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by MelDJ View Post
    so you can boot and after a while it freezes?
    Yes.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dcstar View Post
    Really, what is the Launchpad bug number that you have created?

It is totally pointless posting such things here, as this is a forum of Ubuntu users trying to help other Ubuntu users.
    Launchpad number 477918

If this is an pointless place to post then tell me where I should report this. I have posted it to launchpad and that has been a waste of time. I NEED to get the attention of the team responsible for the kernel, but I cannot see any such information either here or at linux.org!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ed-koala View Post
    Does this thread shed any light on the issue?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1027080
    No. The problem did not occur until after I installed Karmic Koala so the problem is introduced kernel 2.6.31. The problem also occurs whether or not I specify nomodeset in the boot.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Here's something to try. Install a different distro like Debian or Fedora to see if the problem goes away.

What is the kernel you are currently using, what is the hardware you have, more specifically? Could you crosslink to some of your other old threads so we can see some of the things you have already tried? Has this persisted across kernel updates or distro upgrades?

But try a different distro, it may like your hardware better.

EDIT: that fix Wojox posted looks promising. In which case, the bug is in Xorg, not the kernel.
    Last edited by MaxIBoy; December 4th, 2009 at 12:43 AM.
    He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
    -Thomas Paine

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

well, if it is a kernel bug, then it isn;t ubuntu people you need to talk to. they do customize it a little, but that is about it.

if you want to file a bug report with the linux foundation, you first need to install the vanilla mainstream kernel. they will not accept bug reports against the ubuntu kernel.

just a hint, the problem is not likely the chipset version, since, as you point out, that would have been a showstopper no one could have missed.

when my box starts doing bizarre things, and a rebuild does not fix them, then I usually buy a new mobo. a single blown cap, can really mess up a board. if that fails then i know for sure that the cause is in something I did.

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast