Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Linux Kernel(s) for Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty Jackalope)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Linux Kernel(s) for Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty Jackalope)

Billee, as I thought, you're running Jaunty with the Hardy kernel. Interesting that it works. Did you do an upgrade from Hardy directly to Jaunty without upgrading to Intrepid, because you don't seem to have an Intrepid kernel?

Anyway, edit menu.lst with administrator privileges with this from a terminal:

Code:
    gksudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
    Now copy and paste the code I've posted below to between these two lines:

splashimage=(hd0,2)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

Copy and paste here

title Ubuntu 8.04, kernel 2.6.24-16-generic

Code:
    title Ubuntu 9.04, kernel 2.6.28-16-generic
    root (hd0,2)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-16-generic root=UUID=1b666341-204d-4c03-b1e8-5d0382a9b3b6 ro all_generic_ide quiet splash
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.28-16-generic
    quiet

title Ubuntu 9.04, kernel 2.6.28-16-generic (recovery mode)
    root (hd0,2)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-16-generic root=UUID=1b666341-204d-4c03-b1e8-5d0382a9b3b6 ro all_generic_ide quiet
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.28-16-generic

title Ubuntu 9.04, kernel 2.6.28-15-generic
    root (hd0,2)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-15-generic root=UUID=1b666341-204d-4c03-b1e8-5d0382a9b3b6 ro all_generic_ide quiet splash
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.28-15-generic
    quiet

title Ubuntu 9.04, kernel 2.6.28-15-generic (recovery mode)
    root (hd0,2)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-15-generic root=UUID=1b666341-204d-4c03-b1e8-5d0382a9b3b6 ro all_generic_ide quiet
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.28-15-generic
    That will give you menu entries for the -15 and -16 Jaunty kernels. Try the -15 one if the -16 one gives problems. I haven't given you stanzas for the -14 kernel (which you also have installed) which is probably now surplus to requirement. Let us know how you get on.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ST3ALTHPSYCH0 View Post
    For future reference, please put large outputs (i.e error logs or config files) between code tags so your post isn't 80 miles long (in case there's confusion it should look like: {code} config file or error log{/code} where {} is replaced with []).
    Also, that yellow font doesn't show for crap on the white background!
    Thanks...I am still getting used to this forum stuff. I realized the error in the color after I posted it. I wanted a highlighted text, not font color.

Did you do an upgrade from Hardy directly to Jaunty without upgrading to Intrepid
    Yes. I will try to get to your suggestions after we finish with Christmas decorations. I'll let you know how it goes.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Billee View Post
    Yes.
    It's not recommended to skip a version when dist-upgrading. Usually you should Hardy > Intrepid > Jaunty in two steps. Let's hope it doesn't give you problems - apart from not upwriting menu.lst for you.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

I hope I didn't come across as rude, just trying to help you get help.
    Resolution help | Mac4Lin install guide|Fuduntu
    Quote Originally Posted by kamaboko View Post
    A suggestion for you...dump the "us vs. them" attitude ...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ST3ALTHPSYCH0 View Post
    I hope I didn't come across as rude, just trying to help you get help.
    I try to remember to put in a smiley or two if I'm picking someone up on a point of netiquette or forum use. It helps to reassure them I'm being good-humoured.

Beans

Good advice.
    Resolution help | Mac4Lin install guide|Fuduntu
    Quote Originally Posted by kamaboko View Post
    A suggestion for you...dump the "us vs. them" attitude ...

Beans

Thank you, gentlemen. Coffeecat's suggestion worked! (Did I ever doubt you ).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Billee View Post
    (Did I ever doubt you ).
    Sounds as though you might have had a couple of wavering moments. But I'm glad it's fixed.

However, talking of doubts, I've just noticed I posted this last night...

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    apart from not upwriting menu.lst for you.
    Upwriting?!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12