Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Blank screen on install

Beans

Re: Blank screen on install

Just discovered this discussion about the Compaq 615.

I have posted my own thread about the Compaq 615 and its problems myself a few weeks ago.

I am running Linux Mint 7 (based on Ubuntu 9.04) on this laptop since a week and everything works fine, the wireless included ! The only thing I had to do was install a recent alsa sound driver, everithing else worked !

I discovered what the problem is : it's the kernel version ! Every Linux distro running this recent kernel version 3X will get you a blank screen when installing. I got through the installation once with Linux Mint 8 (based on Ubuntu 9.10) last sunday, but once installed and rebooted things went all wrong again. I decided it wasn't worth the trouble.Since then I remain with Linux Mint 7 for the coming weeks/months.

I intend to wait until there is a better recent kernel version before installing a recent Linux distro like Ubuntu or Linux Mint.

I tried the simplyMEPIS 8.5 alpha distro today - no installation, just running as a Live CD - and to my surprise is started up perfectly! This alpha distro is running kernelversion 32 , so possibly the problem is already being taken care of. Of course an alpha release is not stable enough to run permanently on a laptop for daily use, but it seems there is hope for a perfectly running recent Linux distro for the Compaq 615.

Again, I advice you to read my thread. I hope it will give you some usefull information. I also posted another thread about the sound problem, for which there is a perfectly working solution for Ubuntu 9.04 / Linux Mint 7.

As you probably know you can find a good survey of many Linux distros on www.distrowatch.com

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

force317, excellent post.

What is the url to your discussion of this topic?
    My wiki page ... ATI 9.11 & Ubuntu 9.10 ... Time Capsule ... Ubuntu in 5 years!
    Brainstorm ideas ...Stop Blank Screen ... Gui Xorg Edit

Ubuntu is reinventing the wheel ... making it round.

Beans

I solved it by updating the graphic card driver

Thanks for your care

Beans

Beans

Updating the graphics card driver : how do you do that on a linux os ?

Isn't that a bit risky for your laptop ? Could mess up your graphics card ?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123