Thread: Ubuntu install - generic or tailored to pc ?

Beans

Ubuntu install - generic or tailored to pc ?

Hi All

I was wondering if the install of Ubuntu is generic or tailored to the current pc it was installed on ?

so what I would like to do is get the hard drive from a pc that has a non functioning cd drive and then install ubuntu on it (using another pc), could I then just plug the hard drive back into the original pc and all would work ?

The reason that I ask is that say for example under win xp, the install is locked to the motherboard, cpu etc so this idea would not work.

But since these days X org is dynamic and builds its self on hardware detected, this idea could work ?

Thanks in advance
    RD

Beans

Re: Ubuntu install - generic or tailored to pc ?

You should be able to transfer the hard drive from one computer to another no problem, with two exceptions:

1. Obviously you can't move an amd64 install to a 32-bit x86 computer
    2. Best not to enable any restricted hardware drivers (like nvidia graphics cards) until the hard drive is in its final destination.

Beans

Ok so what you are saying is that along as I perform a straight install off the Ubuntu CD and then take the hard drive out after rebooting then it should work ?

Yes the two pc's are both pentium 4 (laptop and a desktop) hence 32 bit.

So an install of Ubuntu is generic then (I could take the hard drive to any 32 bit pc then) ?

Beans

Yes, Ubuntu installs are generic (with the exception of any restricted hardware drivers).

For example, I have Ubuntu installed to a USB thumb drive, which I use to boot several different computers. No problem.

Beans

Ok thanks for the reply.

I am looking to upgrade my sons pc (but the CD drive doesn't work any more) hence the question of swapping hard drives from different pc's.