Thread: vga792 is deprecated

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

[SOLVED] vga=792 is deprecated

Since installing 9.10, when I boot up I the following message appears briefly just after I select Ubuntu from the boot menu:
    Code:
    vga=792 is deprecated. Use set gfxpayload=1024x768x24,1024x768 before linux command instead.
    Does anybody know what's going on here? Everything seems to work fine, but I'd like to get rid of this message, so that if another error message appears someday, I notice it.
    Last edited by Ubuntist; December 3rd, 2009 at 03:40 AM. Reason: Mark as SOLVED

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Re: vga792 is deprecated

I'm surprised none of the GRUB2 "experts" have responded, and since I'm NOT one of those, I can't give you detailed instructions ... but the gist of this is that in your GRUB options, you are trying to set the resolution of 1024x768 using an old "vga=nnn" parm.

You can confirm this by looking at your grub.cfg file, reading the Ubuntu entries, and noticing the presence of "vga=nnn" parms.

Fixing this requires going to the default GRUB file (sorry, I don't have the name handy) and changing the default resolution there to 1024xsd768 and saving that file. Then, run "update-grub" to regenerate the cfg file. Open the cfg file and confirm that the "vga=nnn" parms are gone.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

The file with grub defaults is /etc/default/grub I believe. You will need to open it with:
    sudo gedit /etc/default/grub
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Thanks, dudes. In /etc/default/grub I changed
    Code:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=" vga=792 splash"
    to
    Code:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="gfxpayload=1024x768x24,1024x768 splash"
    and now all is sweetness and light.

Beans

I followed the same thing yet its not working . i get same msg on boot. any solutions?

Beans

Am quite a noob... so am quite nervous about giving advice.

However, I thought that to edit grub you have to use gksu (ie root access) and then run update-grub for the changes to take effect.

I had an issue with VGA=789 (now solved)... http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1582540
    Last edited by hcs7dap; July 30th, 2011 at 07:40 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

If it helps, I'll post my running valid configuration. Note that grub_cmdline_linux is commented.
    Code:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
    #GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="1024x768x32"
    GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=1024x768x32
    GRUB_GFXMODE=1024x768x32
    I guess it's almost the same, but if anybody needs to try alternatives, this one works. gfxmode only changes grub resolution, and gfxpayload_linux I guess that only changes system non-graphic resolution, that is tty, and booting and shutdown screens.

Cheers!

EDIT: And don't forget that the resolution you enter must be supported by your driver! You will know the avaiable ones with a grub command. To access grub console, reboot, go to the SO selection screen and press c. The command is vbeinfo. They'll be printed in the screen. To set vbe_mode to configuration 0x101: set vbemode=0x101. Anyway, I think that this variable is listened by anybody.

EDIT2: Finally, there is a graphical tool called startupmanager. Haven't tried it, but it seems to let us choose the resolution.
    Last edited by Razlo; August 19th, 2011 at 12:09 PM.