Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 13 of 13

Thread: Why oh why do you keep banning my threads?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Kent, UK
    Beans
    214
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Why oh why do you keep banning my threads?

    Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    This isn't a staffing problem. The issue revolves around our priorities. We want to throw our resources behind tech support and those aspects of community that build good relationships, not toward those things that devolve into arguments or drama.

    There are hundreds of other places on the internet where drama and arguments are plentiful and welcome so we don't feel any particular sadness about not welcoming or fostering either in our forums.
    but it WASN'T an argument provoking thread, it was a random jokey thread with absolutely no malice or bad intentions.

    Sorry, I know this is going on for a while and it's not really just about that thread, it's really the principal that that kind of thing is good for the community so shouldn't be seen as trivial


    Maybe another issue is that for some reason things can be quite quick to turn into arguments here, I have no idea why really. There are random threads on another forum I frequent, but they usually just progress randomly and end randomly without any confrontations or anything.

    Oh well, who knows, I guess there isn't really much else to say but I do think it'll be a shame to see little pointless fun threads all end up jailed just because a minority of members can act in an inappropriate or unnecessarily confrontational manner. C'est la vie I guess!
    Registered Ubuntu user #28880

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Beans
    12,944

    Re: Why oh why do you keep banning my threads?

    Ubuntu Forums are owned by Canonical. The primary role for Ubuntu Forums is to provide technical support for Ubuntu users.
    This account is not active.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Parts Unknown
    Beans
    9,213
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Why oh why do you keep banning my threads?

    Quote Originally Posted by hoppipolla View Post
    but it WASN'T an argument provoking thread, it was a random jokey thread with absolutely no malice or bad intentions.
    I said nothing about the thread being an argument provoker, merely that an argument broke out and that arguments in the Cafe are dealt with by either jailing or closing threads, as noted on the main page in the Cafe.

    Quote Originally Posted by hoppipolla View Post
    Sorry, I know this is going on for a while and it's not really just about that thread, it's really the principal that that kind of thing is good for the community so shouldn't be seen as trivial
    If we thought the Cafe was anything other than good for the community, it wouldn't exist. This is a straw man argument, but I presume an unintentional one.

    Quote Originally Posted by hoppipolla View Post
    Maybe another issue is that for some reason things can be quite quick to turn into arguments here, I have no idea why really. There are random threads on another forum I frequent, but they usually just progress randomly and end randomly without any confrontations or anything.
    This is another straw man and is not borne out by the facts. Most Cafe threads continue without problems. Only a small percentage turn into arguments or have problems. In addition, if you take the sheer volume of threads throughout the forums, only a tiny fraction of a percent ever have problems.

    Quote Originally Posted by hoppipolla View Post
    Oh well, who knows, I guess there isn't really much else to say but I do think it'll be a shame to see little pointless fun threads all end up jailed just because a minority of members can act in an inappropriate or unnecessarily confrontational manner. C'est la vie I guess!
    I agree. The people who cause problems in these instances earn infraction points with the potential toward an eventual ban. Most change their behavior. When you have a large forum with such a diverse and often young population, time is required to educate on proper behavior. We aim to do that, not merely to punish. The process isn't always perfect, but is generally smooth and works well overall within our community (less than 0.01% of our users ever receive even one infraction point or even an official warning, and most who do only do so one time ever). The way we deal with things in the Cafe has been quite effective and positive overall and we have seen good long term results, which are more important than short term comfort or happiness.
    what's a troll? | my blog | my writing | Ubuntu Unleashed

    Don't ask support questions in PMs--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •