Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why oh why do you keep banning my threads?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Why oh why do you keep banning my threads?

Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    This isn't a staffing problem. The issue revolves around our priorities. We want to throw our resources behind tech support and those aspects of community that build good relationships, not toward those things that devolve into arguments or drama.

There are hundreds of other places on the internet where drama and arguments are plentiful and welcome so we don't feel any particular sadness about not welcoming or fostering either in our forums.
    but it WASN'T an argument provoking thread, it was a random jokey thread with absolutely no malice or bad intentions.

Sorry, I know this is going on for a while and it's not really just about that thread, it's really the principal that that kind of thing is good for the community so shouldn't be seen as trivial

Maybe another issue is that for some reason things can be quite quick to turn into arguments here, I have no idea why really. There are random threads on another forum I frequent, but they usually just progress randomly and end randomly without any confrontations or anything.

Oh well, who knows, I guess there isn't really much else to say but I do think it'll be a shame to see little pointless fun threads all end up jailed just because a minority of members can act in an inappropriate or unnecessarily confrontational manner. C'est la vie I guess!
    Registered Ubuntu user #28880

Beans

Ubuntu Forums are owned by Canonical. The primary role for Ubuntu Forums is to provide technical support for Ubuntu users.
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by hoppipolla View Post
    but it WASN'T an argument provoking thread, it was a random jokey thread with absolutely no malice or bad intentions.
    I said nothing about the thread being an argument provoker, merely that an argument broke out and that arguments in the Cafe are dealt with by either jailing or closing threads, as noted on the main page in the Cafe.

Sorry, I know this is going on for a while and it's not really just about that thread, it's really the principal that that kind of thing is good for the community so shouldn't be seen as trivial
    If we thought the Cafe was anything other than good for the community, it wouldn't exist. This is a straw man argument, but I presume an unintentional one.

Maybe another issue is that for some reason things can be quite quick to turn into arguments here, I have no idea why really. There are random threads on another forum I frequent, but they usually just progress randomly and end randomly without any confrontations or anything.
    This is another straw man and is not borne out by the facts. Most Cafe threads continue without problems. Only a small percentage turn into arguments or have problems. In addition, if you take the sheer volume of threads throughout the forums, only a tiny fraction of a percent ever have problems.

Oh well, who knows, I guess there isn't really much else to say but I do think it'll be a shame to see little pointless fun threads all end up jailed just because a minority of members can act in an inappropriate or unnecessarily confrontational manner. C'est la vie I guess!
    I agree. The people who cause problems in these instances earn infraction points with the potential toward an eventual ban. Most change their behavior. When you have a large forum with such a diverse and often young population, time is required to educate on proper behavior. We aim to do that, not merely to punish. The process isn't always perfect, but is generally smooth and works well overall within our community (less than 0.01% of our users ever receive even one infraction point or even an official warning, and most who do only do so one time ever). The way we deal with things in the Cafe has been quite effective and positive overall and we have seen good long term results, which are more important than short term comfort or happiness.
    what's a troll? | my blog | my writing | Ubuntu Unleashed

Don't ask support questions in PMs--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12