Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Atheros AR9285 wireless problems, Ubuntu 9.10

Beans

Question Atheros AR9285 wireless problems, Ubuntu 9.10

Hi all,
    I've just put Ubuntu 9.10 on a Compaq Presario CQ61 with a Atheros AR9285 WiFi adapter. At first, connecting to my home (WEP) network, it works fine. However it then seems to have the signal drop off. It re-asks me for my wireless key, and I give it the correct one. After a while, it asks again. Even though the key is correct, I cannot re-connect.
    It's a dual-boot machine, and the adapter and network connection work correctly from the same place while running Windows 7.
    Any suggestions?

Beans

Re: Atheros AR9285 wireless problems, Ubuntu 9.10

I have this problem too.. on my HP Pavilion dv3-2220er with Atheros AR9285 under Ubuntu 9.10.
    Can anybody help?
    After some time wireless connection is drops, and only reboot helps to up the wireless.

Beans

same here on my emachines laptop. mandriva 2010 has no problems with this wireless card but i do have difficulty with my ati graphics driver

Beans

I, too, have an emachines laptop. I had an earlier version (9.04?) working well. Did a network upgade and finally got everything working again. I've made the mistake of doing online updates whenever prompted. Somewhere along the way, the atheros got broken but I didn't notice until I had to do one of my infrequent reboots. I installed Mepis 8 which handles the atheros well, but doesn't detect the display. Now, I'm looking for a way to repair my broken Ubuntu 9.10 atheros which has internet access only as mounted partition under Mepis.

Beans

I have the same problema, same wireless card...

I have been reading some threads about related issues, specifically the flaky connection Karmic has with wpa/wpa2 and hidden connections...

After reading a bit, it seems that there is something wrong with the Atheros drivers on Karmic's default 2.6.31 kernel. Many people recommended this fix:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-karmic-generic
    sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-wireless-karmic-generic
    Installing these packages should bring back backported drivers from the 2.6.32 kernel.

Most of them also recommended installing WICD, but i skipped that...

This solved my hidden connection problems and boosted up the connectivity a bit - not ideal yet...

My problem is only with WPA connections because WEP works fine. I only tried one of the packages - didn't know about the other - and the connection remained flaky. I have know installed both packages, but can't test it because i can't access/configure my connection to WPA. As soon as i can configure or access a WPA connection i'll try to say something...

In the meanwhile, i would apreciate feedback on if the packages work on AR9285...
    Last edited by MCorreia; January 7th, 2010 at 10:04 PM.

Beans

Talking Re: Atheros AR9285 wireless problems, Ubuntu 9.10

Thanks, it worked beautifully.
    It's probably a good idea not to use wicd, because when I installed it after using this fix it disabled all my wireless until I re-installed the gnome network manager.

Beans

Thanks MCorreia - your solution worked perfectly!

Beans

Thank you MCorreia! My network connection is so much better now. I have been getting aggravated with it's speed since I installed Ubuntu on my system a week ago. Those two installs worked beautifully.

-Wesd3fer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Hey guys I've been reading alot about the AR9285 fix for weak wireless signals and the backports install got me up from 30% to 75% sitting in the exact same spot after a reboot. I appriciate everyones post, they definately help noobs like me. Just incase others are experiancing the same problem, this fix work for UNR 9.10 on a Toshiba NB305-N410BL with AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter...Thanks again!!!

Beans

Worked like butter for me as well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast