Page 51 of 99 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu cannot compete with OS X or Windows 7

Beans

Re: Ubuntu cannot compete with OS X or Windows 7

I wasnt planning on reading this thread as I was originally searching for posts about Grisbi, but after reading multiple pages I wanted to chime in.

I have been running exclusively Ubuntu since last march or so at home. I also have a work laptop running XP so I have a windows machine when I need it.

I have to agree with the original poster's points about Ubuntu. Too often to change something means having to research it, post here, wait for a response, then do some stuff. Its highly frustrating at times. I am an extremely technical person, but sometimes I don't feel learning how to edit x.org just so I can get 2-3 monitors to work. I would much rather just connect them, click on a auto-config of some sort and let it go.

That is the point he was trying to make, that there are too many things that are *NOT* intuitive to the avg user.

Here is a great example. On the NVidia X Server package when you make changes to dual display, such as changing positions of screens, you might want to save those settings to X.org. Well in 9.04, you had to run it via GKSU before you could save it because x.org required root access. Someone else caught on to this and reported it as bug.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/hundredpapercuts/+bug/200868

Well it took almost 2 years to change it to allow you to save the file. If you read through the thread you can understand what I am talking about when I say things are not intuitive.

I think its a great OS, but it definitely needs to be "defragmented" before it truly competes with MS to the avg user.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

microsoft tryed 3 times to create a stable version of XP, finally the SP3 didn't do bluescreen so much, but on most computers was really slow. vista is not better than XP SP1 and windows 7 is not better ether, because wall these systems are using a windows 2000 engine, which is bad off course.

as for me, Mac OS X is the same as ubuntu, but u have to pay for it.
    HP Elitebook 8540w, 10.10, Wacom PL-720, HTC DEsire HD, AFAD BA/SK...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by Daremo_06 View Post
    I wasnt planning on reading this thread as I was originally searching for posts about Grisbi, but after reading multiple pages I wanted to chime in.

I have been running exclusively Ubuntu since last march or so at home. I also have a work laptop running XP so I have a windows machine when I need it.

I have to agree with the original poster's points about Ubuntu. Too often to change something means having to research it, post here, wait for a response, then do some stuff. Its highly frustrating at times. I am an extremely technical person, but sometimes I don't feel learning how to edit x.org just so I can get 2-3 monitors to work. I would much rather just connect them, click on a auto-config of some sort and let it go.

That is the point he was trying to make, that there are too many things that are *NOT* intuitive to the avg user.

Here is a great example. On the NVidia X Server package when you make changes to dual display, such as changing positions of screens, you might want to save those settings to X.org. Well in 9.04, you had to run it via GKSU before you could save it because x.org required root access. Someone else caught on to this and reported it as bug.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/hundredpapercuts/+bug/200868

Well it took almost 2 years to change it to allow you to save the file. If you read through the thread you can understand what I am talking about when I say things are not intuitive.

I think its a great OS, but it definitely needs to be "defragmented" before it truly competes with MS to the avg user.
    I have to agree with a lot of what you said. But even though it's not intuitive to the user, or requires us to do more work, I would rather have that option than the one where Windows does whatever it wants without my explicit direction.

I'm running Karmic, and the Plasma desktop will crash from time to time, and a few second later it will start back up. If that was a Windows machine, the GUI being tied to the OS would be crashing my system repeatedly.

Give me control, I'll deal with the frustration. If you want Linux, but don't want to have to deal with it, then just get a Mac. I'm on my girlfriend's MacBook Pro. I've got to say, if I hadn't already gotten into Linux and built my systems, I would definitely go this way. But that's the $/time tradeoff we all have to make. How much time do you put into learning, before you decide that it's cheaper if you just pay for the OS that works out of the box?

We all have our choices to make.
    Natty 11.04
    Registered Linux user #503375
    http://ubuntuforums.org/picture.php?...pictureid=5530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Linux is a custom OS in my mind. The few tweaks that I have to do are minimal and may increase my skills.
    Wow- what a concept!
    Ubuntu tweaks are usually not needed on most of my installs anyway - and I've done many.
    If you just want user level boredom then get a Mac. Even if I did buy an Apple it's not going to be the complete solution for my pc network. No way I'm using Windows or buying alot of Apple hardware. Enter Linux. Why delude myself?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Talking Re: Ubuntu cannot compete with OS X or Windows 7

Gaming on a Linux distro is still a mess?Maybe,but I prefer my PS3.
    Registered Linux user,number 507113.02-01-2013: ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO 785G |Athlon 2 X4 640|4 GiB DDR|1 TiB SATA2|Radeon HD 6570(HDMI)|Realtek 7.1 HDMI audio|Gigabit Lan|Kubuntu 12.10 Quanzal AMD64

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by aeon.flux View Post
    microsoft tryed 3 times to create a stable version of XP, finally the SP3 didn't do bluescreen so much, but on most computers was really slow. vista is not better than XP SP1 and windows 7 is not better ether, because wall these systems are using a windows 2000 engine, which is bad off course.

in fairness, from sp2 onwards i very, very rarely had xp crash on me unless i was doing something strange.
    vista is absolute gash, so so slow at doing anything.
    i haven't tried w7 yet, i'm sure i'll upgrade my desktop at some point

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aeon.flux View Post
    Uninformed.

Once you try a Mac all preconception will fade away.

cprofitt is offline νόησις νοήσεως - nóesis noéseos
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by MacJack View Post
    Uninformed.

Once you try a Mac all preconception will fade away.
    I agree. Once I used a Mac long term it was actually less capable, for me, than Ubuntu. In fact there were multiple things that were simply not intuitive and downright frustrating.

Beans

It's been said many times, but bears repeating.

What do you want for nothing?

How nincompoops rant and rave over the differences between Free and billion-dollar operating systems is stupid. Free does 100% of what I need at home, on a personal basis:

Talks to my wireless N internet
    Provides compats with MS Office
    Provides compats with e-mail
    Provides compats with web browsers (remember when netscape used to cost money?)
    Compats with BT
    Plays streaming video. When I see a pirated movie in Usenet, I just click on it, and it plays.
    Compats with most music files
    Compats with my PDA
    Compats with regular printers that I can buy anywhere.

And a whole bunch more that I probably don't understand to appreciate.

That being writ, there are some things that Ubuntu (Free) doesn't do well, but that is where I change to a not-free system to accomplish the task.

I don't try to bash Free for not wiping my *** the way I like.

I appreciate things that Free does for me, such as not having to spend money on anti-virus apps, adware apps, and not needing to run redundant firewalls. I love Free for saving money on utilities. Free gives me all these things on a portable computer, instead of a 400 Watt desktop machine.

I love Free. Especially since I was once an Amiga owner, where everything was even more expensive than a Mac.

I also own a Mac, but only use it for the 1 or 2 times that I need to edit a high-definition video, or need just a little more cpu power than my Eee PC 901 can provide(but that's not Free's fault)

Stop being stupid.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Chame_Wizard View Post
    Gaming on a Linux distro is still a mess?Maybe,but I prefer my PS3.
    lol you are saying this because you use linux and there re no games for it so you have no option.

Page 51 of 99 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast