Page 2 of 99 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu cannot compete with OS X or Windows 7

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Ubuntu cannot compete with OS X or Windows 7

to the OP, take it up with the developers, they have the ability to change things.
    PROUDLY UBUNTU'ING MY COMPUTER SINCE 2009 - Karmic Koala 9.10 64 Bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Arrow.69 after reading your post i would have to agree with some of the points you made...i use Ubuntu 9.04...everything works...and it's stable, fast and secure....and has lots of excellent programs on it....And i like it MUCH better then Windows...even in it's current form......It's also quite a relief to get away from the constant problems one can have with Windows...

though it still does lack some "polish" that coming from windows, one would like to see on it.....i'd especially like to see easier ways to downlload files that aren't in the package manager...it's not always so easy to get a deb file for a program (which is the easiest to install on ubuntu)...

and i'd like to have easier ways to upgrade to newer versions of programs in Ubuntu that i am using....

Actually, if you haven't already tried it...have you considered Linux Mint? (version 8 is out now i believe)...They take Ubuntu and polish it up and make it a more familar experience for those coming from windows....and even include all the codecs, flash player, java, etc..already installed...with a nice "minty green" look (lol)...check their website...

Try it...you may like it
    Last edited by craig10x; November 30th, 2009 at 03:25 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by expxe View Post
    to the OP, take it up with the developers, they have the ability to change things.
    Troll

OP
    OS X and Windows are consumer products that come with customer support. Most of us do not care if you use them or not. I'm here because I'm a student and in the industry and the forums are a pretty good place to learn specifics.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by PariahVayne View Post
    There is some truth to that but they all have one thing in common;

WINDOWS 7 Home Basic

WINDOWS 7 Home Premium

WINDOWS 7 Ultimate
    Yes but all the linuxes out there have something in common too:
    Ubuntu LINUX
    Mandriva LINUX
    openSUSE LINUX
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by arrow.69 View Post
    I'm gonna get incredibly bashed for posting this, but here it goes.

I've been running various Linux distributions on a bunch of computers since I was 13. Windows would **** me off, Vista got released, or sometimes I just felt like playing around. I've been through MEPIS, OpenSuse, Kubuntu, Ubuntu,amongst others. It eventually became clear to me that Ubuntu was the overall best desktop distribution out there, if only for the tremendous amount of support there is out there for it.

I love Ubuntu. It's a very capable OS and I love the idea of running a completely free and open operating system. I've probably run some variation of Ubuntu on and off for the past four years. I usually run Ubuntu for six months to a year until something forces me to go back to Windows or I just get too annoyed at a few bugs. Whenever a new release comes out I usually check it out, eager to see what improvements have come along.

However, I have to admit that Ubuntu simply can't compete anymore. Windows 7 is a huge leap for Windows, and OS X has always been user-friendly and functional. I know that under the hood, Linux is more stable, quicker, more secure than Windows. But the truth is, to the end-user on the desktop front, the experience you get running Ubuntu doesn't measure up. The problem isn't a lack of applications of features. Ubuntu just lacks polish and integration. Say what you will, the amount of bugs, small crashes that happen for seemingly no reason, lack of conformity across the OS, destroy the experience for most users. I think Ubuntu will never be a viable option for the consumer because it trades off quality, functionality and intuitiveness for customizability. Most users just want a nice OS with features designed to make their life easier on the computer. They want all those features out of the box and they don't want to tinker with their operating system. They want it to just work for them. Anyways, no amount of customization or tweaking will bring Ubuntu up to the level of functionality Windows or OS X offer right now.

What do you guys think? Am I missing something? Why do you prefer Ubuntu?

I did notice that out of all the distros you tried, none are really considered "stable". I would suggest you try Debian (stable), CentOS5, Slackware or some other one that is. All the distros you tried are based on a testing or unstable branch and that will lead to some issues. It always does.

I don't know what kind of polish you are looking for. Personally, I find it irritating for developers to work on how a distro 'looks' when they should focus more on how it 'works.' Polish is irrelevant, you can always change the way it looks. If you dont know how I know a bunch of people here can help with that.
    True freedom requires sacrifice and pain. Most human beings only think they want freedom. In truth they yearn for the bondage of social order, rigid laws, materialism, the only freedom man really wants, is the freedom to become comfortable.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by arrow.69 View Post
    What do you guys think? Am I missing something? Why do you prefer Ubuntu?
    Ubuntu is free....

Now if Ubuntu charged the same price as Mac or Windows then I would bet Ubuntu would kick Windows & Mac's teeth in.

Beans

KDE has a more unified feel (after having used it for a few weeks). Two components to "modern" polish look & feel have to do with uniformity among applications & modern style (simply put).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Let's measure the competition this way:

a 34 years enterprise that has manipulated the market, an OS that forces the hardware factories to adapt to them instead of being reverse or at least common agreement, this is just windows...

OS X, they just sell you the new computer adjusted to the needs of the software...

Now, Ubuntu is a 5 years old OS that has run a great distance and won many battles on the market field and broke record... Not to mention being open source which I completely support...

In my case the toddler has beaten the adult. Ubuntu is up to the everyday needs of the average user, it's easy to use, even kids can have their ways on it!
    A few months ago there was this poll among Linux users and gamers about if they were willing to pay for a game that can be played in linux even though you could get the game for free, most users didn't supported the idea, they want it all for free, it's not an utopia, development takes money, and older OS's have it, so in some areas they have the lead.

I'd rather to have a computer that works for me than me working for a computer.
    Lenovo Ideapad Y530
    Intel Core 2 Duo T5800 @ 2.00GHz
    4 GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM 1066MHz
    Intel Integrated Graphics X4500

Beans

And I like all these free apps! Granted some are available for windows too but they run better in Linux. I dunno, seems to be an influx of trolls today, wonder where they're coming from.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyRabbiera View Post
    Yes but all the linuxes out there have something in common too:
    Ubuntu LINUX
    Mandriva LINUX
    openSUSE LINUX
    A name that is not exclusively used across their official titles. Think before trying to counter.

Page 2 of 99 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast