Page 11 of 99 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu cannot compete with OS X or Windows 7

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Ubuntu cannot compete with OS X or Windows 7

You know, I actually agree with the OP, he made some very good points. I just can't argue with them.
    I love how everything in Windows 7 just comes together, it's hard to explain but it's a good feeling.

As been said, Ubuntu just needs the looks and integration (though, integration is getting a bit better I must admit).

Blog | I'm available for programming contributions. C & Python.
    Intel Core i7 920 | EVGA x58 SLI | NVidia GeForce 8600 GT | WD 500GB HDD | Corsair XMS3 3GB | Ubuntu 9.04

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Dullstar View Post
    Oh, and let's not forget that we slate Windows for several reasons, includeing the fact that it is buggier than Linux by a longshot.
    lol

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

x
    Last edited by PariahVayne; December 4th, 2009 at 11:58 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Windows 7 is pretty much the same as Vista. It is being accepted now because people have had time to adjust to the Vista style desktop and because they want to confirm loyalty to MS (leader-follower relationship in the MS clan).

My job is to develop, administer and integrate Windows systems in networks. They mostly work, they have plenty of problems but there is always information around to fix them. My home Linux systems are functionally equivalent to Windows but are have less artistically designed desktops and less robust apps. The main gripe I have is that Linux documentation is very poor compared with Windows. The man pages are almost useless, usage info is very brief and out of date. This lack of documentation gives Linux a poor image to developers and administrators. The existence of Ubuntu web info is a major assistance to Linux.

I think the main reason Windows is 'competitive' is because it is bundled, apparently 'free', with almost all new systems. Other customer choices follow from this, such as using Internet Explorer, MS Office or Photoshop. My point is that Windows has the market through bundling deals. Linux cannot improve market share until this practice stops.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Reading all the posts on this thread is really reiterating one thing in my mind.

Use what's best for you. No one is right or wrong.

Ubuntu can't compete with OS X or Windows 7.
    Ubuntu can compete with OS X or Windows 7.

Whatever. For me, personally, Ubuntu is a much better choice and easily beats Windows and Mac OS X, but for some people, this isn't going to be the case.

You can't convince someone who has had nothing but problems with Ubuntu that it's better than Windows and Mac OS X.

Likewise, you can't convince someone (myself included) that has had nothing but problems with Windows or Mac OS X that they're better than Ubuntu.

Just use what you need to!

Whatever your opinion, consider the opposite for a second, smile and get on with your life.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

PHP Code:
    Most users just want a nice OS with features designed to make their life easier on the computerThey want all those features out of the box and they don't want to tinker with their operating system. They want it to just work for them. 
    I think that once i get ubuntu installed, updated, and all set with the right programs, it is very stable and easy to use. I have done that for a few friends and they haven't really had big problems with it. For me, personally, the main reason ubuntu is difficult is when i want to run something designed for windows on linux. And i can't really blame the ubuntu developers for that. For example, there is no linux distro for itunes. That just seems crazy to me. Why does apple care if someone uses ubuntu, or windows to run their ipod? they aren't using apple hardware anyways.
    I think that the job for Ubuntu developers is much harder than for windows and Mac because they have to make ubuntu compatible to other systems, hopefully every system combination in the world. that is a hard job. Windows and mac developers know exactly what hardware they are running, and the hardware companies also work with windows to make it all compatible. It is a much bigger job for ubuntu. Given all of this i still think ubuntu works great for me.
    At the very end you have to look at the ubuntu guarantee:

"Ubuntu is and always will be free of charge. You do not pay any licensing fees. You can download, use and share Ubuntu with your friends, family, school or business for absolutely nothing."

That is amazing to me, and i love that ubuntu already works so well, i hope that as time goes by we can all add to its completeness and usability.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by dnvikram View Post
    1)UI Design
    2)Architectural limitations,merits,demerits & scope of improvement.
    3)Historical facts
    4)Development methodology & cycle
    5)Intended market influence
    6)Financial influence
    7)Developer community
    8)Licensing methodology
    One VERY valid point is that there arent any .DLL & REGISTRY crap all over the show!!

this is a must add to that list...much more efficient design under the hood

When windows actually finds a way to develop their OS without these two types of files then they'll solve alot ALOT of issues.
    Install XP for a year and see how fast it runs...then format and see the difference........nuff said!

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by tuxeee View Post
    One VERY valid point is that there arent any .DLL & REGISTRY crap all over the show!!
    .so and gconf

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by entangled View Post
    Windows
    Linux systems are functionally equivalent to Windows but are have less artistically designed desktops and less robust apps. The main gripe I have is that Linux documentation is very poor compared with Windows. The man pages are almost useless, usage info is very brief and out of date.
    Disagree with most of that. Much easier to administer Linux if you know what you are doing. You got a right to your opinion though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Edit: this needs removing!

Page 11 of 99 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast