Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu cannot compete with OS X or Windows 7

Hybrid View

Beans

Ubuntu cannot compete with OS X or Windows 7

I'm gonna get incredibly bashed for posting this, but here it goes.

I've been running various Linux distributions on a bunch of computers since I was 13. Windows would **** me off, Vista got released, or sometimes I just felt like playing around. I've been through MEPIS, OpenSuse, Kubuntu, Ubuntu,amongst others. It eventually became clear to me that Ubuntu was the overall best desktop distribution out there, if only for the tremendous amount of support there is out there for it.

I love Ubuntu. It's a very capable OS and I love the idea of running a completely free and open operating system. I've probably run some variation of Ubuntu on and off for the past four years. I usually run Ubuntu for six months to a year until something forces me to go back to Windows or I just get too annoyed at a few bugs. Whenever a new release comes out I usually check it out, eager to see what improvements have come along.

However, I have to admit that Ubuntu simply can't compete anymore. Windows 7 is a huge leap for Windows, and OS X has always been user-friendly and functional. I know that under the hood, Linux is more stable, quicker, more secure than Windows. But the truth is, to the end-user on the desktop front, the experience you get running Ubuntu doesn't measure up. The problem isn't a lack of applications of features. Ubuntu just lacks polish and integration. Say what you will, the amount of bugs, small crashes that happen for seemingly no reason, lack of conformity across the OS, destroy the experience for most users. I think Ubuntu will never be a viable option for the consumer because it trades off quality, functionality and intuitiveness for customizability. Most users just want a nice OS with features designed to make their life easier on the computer. They want all those features out of the box and they don't want to tinker with their operating system. They want it to just work for them. Anyways, no amount of customization or tweaking will bring Ubuntu up to the level of functionality Windows or OS X offer right now.

What do you guys think? Am I missing something? Why do you prefer Ubuntu?

solwic is offline Chocolate Ubuntu Mocha Blend
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Ubuntu cannot compete with OS X or Windows 7

Quote Originally Posted by arrow.69 View Post
    I'm gonna get incredibly bashed for posting this, but here it goes.

I've been running various Linux distributions on a bunch of computers since I was 13. Windows would **** me off, Vista got released, or sometimes I just felt like playing around. I've been through MEPIS, OpenSuse, Kubuntu, Ubuntu,amongst others. It eventually became clear to me that Ubuntu was the overall best desktop distribution out there, if only for the tremendous amount of support there is out there for it.

I love Ubuntu. It's a very capable OS and I love the idea of running a completely free and open operating system. I've probably run some variation of Ubuntu on and off for the past four years. I usually run Ubuntu for six months to a year until something forces me to go back to Windows or I just get too annoyed at a few bugs. Whenever a new release comes out I usually check it out, eager to see what improvements have come along.

However, I have to admit that Ubuntu simply can't compete anymore. Windows 7 is a huge leap for Windows, and OS X has always been user-friendly and functional. I know that under the hood, Linux is more stable, quicker, more secure than Windows. But the truth is, to the end-user on the desktop front, the experience you get running Ubuntu doesn't measure up. The problem isn't a lack of applications of features. Ubuntu just lacks polish and integration. Say what you will, the amount of bugs, small crashes that happen for seemingly no reason, lack of conformity across the OS, destroy the experience for most users. I think Ubuntu will never be a viable option for the consumer because it trades off quality, functionality and intuitiveness for customizability. Most users just want a nice OS with features designed to make their life easier on the computer. They want all those features out of the box and they don't want to tinker with their operating system. They want it to just work for them. Anyways, no amount of customization or tweaking will bring Ubuntu up to the level of functionality Windows or OS X offer right now.

What do you guys think? Am I missing something? Why do you prefer Ubuntu?
    I agree with your ideas, but disagree that it cannot compete. While I appreciate your thoughts and your candor, ultimately it's just an operating system; just software, no life-altering decisions went into which OS you use.

If you like Windows or OSX, by all means use them. The truth is, Linux is buggy...but so are the other ones. No software is perfect, and any attempt to find one is nothing but an exercise in futility. Rather, try to find (and then use) the OS that is perfect for you. You can't lose if you do that.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Beans

Thumbs down Re: Ubuntu cannot compete with OS X or Windows 7

Quote Originally Posted by solwic View Post
    I agree with your ideas, but disagree that it cannot compete. While I appreciate your thoughts and your candor, ultimately it's just an operating system; just software, no life-altering decisions went into which OS you use.

If you like Windows or OSX, by all means use them. The truth is, Linux is buggy...but so are the other ones. No software is perfect, and any attempt to find one is nothing but an exercise in futility. Rather, try to find (and then use) the OS that is perfect for you. You can't lose if you do that.

I definitely agree with this. I have been using Linux since I was about 12, and I have chosen to do so because it is great. Yes there are bugs. Most of these bugs can be fixed, and usually get fixed fairly quickly in the open source environment. I personally like taking the time to fix said bugs, so that when i'm done I have a fully functioning OS with ALL the features that I want. What's my receipt look like? $0. Some people just aren't cut out for Linux, and should stick to whatever. Pay people to fix things for you when things go wrong.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by UsrCletus View Post
    What's my receipt look like? $0.
    Time is not free for most of us.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by mivo View Post
    Time is not free for most of us.
    Time isn't free when you use OS X or Windows either.

There is a learning curve, but to that I say My time has no value?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

There is a learning curve, but to that I say My time has no value?
    Fair point and a good read.

The point I aimed at was this: I feel that stressing the fact that Linux is free (as in beer) does the OS a bit of a "disfavour" (too strong a word) by portraying the non-existent price tag as a chief reason to use Linux. Hardships or too many computers aside, I believe this is generally a poor reason and attracts "freeloaders" (too strong a word) rather than future active and contributing members of the Linux community. People who believe in the philosophy, or users who see the benefits of this flavour of OS. (I admit that this is partly an unreasonable expectation once the desktop market share grows.)

Granted, "free" (beer) is also an argument that speaks for Linux as a choice, especially if you build your own computer. But if that is the only or even the major reason, then I don't know if the time that is spent on learning and fixing is all that well spent.

All of that aside, the deciding key factor is probably the answer to a simple question: Is it fun and rewarding? If yes, the time you invest is well spent. If no, and you are frustrated or annoyed, the price of "no price" is probably too high.

I didn't mean to make it sound as if I constantly evaluated my own time. I certainly don't use it efficiently in a monetary way. For example, this afternoon I spent several hours learning Xingqi (Chinese chess). It will never make me money. I probably won't even play it very often. However, it was fun, I learned something new and I enjoyed myself. But I would never recommend the game to someone and say, "Play it because unlike video games it is free!".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by solwic View Post

I agree , I installed Ubuntu(my first Linux trial) just to see what linux is all about
    enjoy learning about new things , now I spend more time using Ubuntu

Beans
    Hidden!

I've been using kubuntu as a sole operating system for some time now and the problems that I've run into are almost always user error and pale in comparison to the problems I've seen in windows. Not to mention windows as a whole lacks most user autonomy. Mac os's I cannot say because I've never used it.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by d3v1150m471c View Post
    I've been using kubuntu as a sole operating system for some time now and the problems that I've run into are almost always user error and pale in comparison to the problems I've seen in windows. Not to mention windows as a whole lacks most user autonomy. Mac os's I cannot say because I've never used it.

While i won't disagree entirely let me add that there are problems not only user err (although i've had a few of those too!) in kubuntu - KDE - but still i prefer it to W7 or anything else.

But for me these problems don't drive me away - quite the reverse - I've just got to the point where I'm ready to build a KDE app having looked at the source to fix a problem i'd been having. Heh - like someone said - if you want a job done then do it yourself!

And i can with KDE!!! I can stand on the shoulders of (not giants - lots of lilliputians!) and be on top of the best Desktop Environment around. Can't justify why i've not done this before as i've made a living from software development for 20 yrs. And I stick by what i said earlier in this thread that Ubuntu can't compete with W7 or osx BECAUSE it is free. But without being evangelistic it might be possible to make this the os of choice in the face of capitalism by honestly promoting and explaining.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I think gnome shell is potentially going to be great leap for Ubuntu vs OSX & Windows 7. It's a great concept, looks good and like the best designs is so simple!

Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast