Thread: can't open emapthy, amsn, pidgin, rhythmbox

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

can't open emapthy, amsn, pidgin, rhythmbox

Okay,
    I installed open-shot throuhg the openshot ppa.
    I know, but JT assured that the new ppa would play nice with VLC, and it does.
    But now, a whole bunch of stuff that needs to connect me to the internet now won't start. amsn, empathy, rhythmbox and pidgin, they all crash when I run them. Skype works like crap too, with messages not getting delivered.
    Code:
    Running them from terminal keeps getting me this error:
    ERROR: Could not load classifier cascade /usr/share/opencv/haarcascades/haarcascade_frontalface_alt2.xml
    Error re-scanning registry , child terminated by signal
    aMSN specifically gives me this error:
    Code:
    Could not initialize GStreamer: Error re-scanning registry , child terminated by signal
    I am not quite sure that this is because of openshot, but it was the only thing that was changed on my system and after a reboot (the freezing still happens on my system apparently) the programs no longer will connect.
    Also there is no folder /usr/share/opencv.

So,
    is this related to the installation of openshot?
    Can I reinstall Gstreamer or is it just easier to reinstalle the system? I have a separate home partition so reinstall is no biggie.
    Should I contact JT to tell him that his repo's are messing with other programs (Again!)?
    I allready tried with sudo apt-get install gstreamer, that didn't work...

I don't want this guys awesome program to be associated only with troublesome PPA's, but I really do not know how to go about this...
    Approach life & cooking with reckless abandon.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: can't open emapthy, amsn, pidgin, rhythmbox

I've got exactly the same problem and I'm a newbie to Ubuntu.
    My symptoms are that aMSN trys to open but fails to complete. The same thing happens when I try to open UBUNTU SOFTWARE CENTRE. I tried opening in A Terminal Window and got exactly the same messages as you did.
    My problem happened after I tried to install (1) OPEN MOVIE EDITOR and (2) Kdenlive (Video editor).
    One or both have conflicted (overwritten) the registry where GStreamer should reside.

I need some advice before I go messing too much.

Thx in advance.

EDIT: Well it took me days to get my main issue fixed. I had to uninstall the two Movie Editing Software mentioned above. The real change/fix took place when I used the Repair Damaged or Broken Packages from the Grub menu. i had done this previously but it didn't find any trouble. But once I removed these programs and did it, all was operational again.
    Last edited by Meanderer; December 2nd, 2009 at 03:36 PM. Reason: As a follow up instead of new post.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Well what I'd said in my previous post didn't work. BUT the following did work and I'm so relieved after a week of frustration!

sudo apt-get remove frei0r-plugins
    Woohoo . Grrrr8

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Guess what,
    today after an update, I get the same issue.
    I can play movie formats without a problem, but none of my IM's work.
    I get the same error message as last time.
    Openshot is NOT installed on this computer.
    I solved the problem last time, by reinstalling, but I really don't feel like reinstalling again. So does anyone have a solution that I can easily implement?
    Approach life & cooking with reckless abandon.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I also had this problem, and removing frei0r-plugins fixed me right up. Boy, was I getting frustrated! I basically couldn't start any program that had a Gstreamer dependancy. I jettisoned OpenShot too, just because I was pissed at it for messing up my system...