Thread: Joomla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Joomla

I got a karmic server up and running, with Samba and Lamp. I installed MYSQL and PHP but I don't know if they actually working. This is strictly an at home system and network. I can get the "It Works" post on my Desktop.

I've heard god things about Joomla, but it isn't an Ubuntu distribution. and I don't have much experiance installing stuff, without aptitude.

I'm not even sure if Joomla is going to do what I want it to do. I am hoping it can help me actually create a page using my browser from my client machine.

Any thoughts?

Beans

Re: Joomla

hi, im not sure what thoughts youre looking for but joomla is very easy to install and is capable of making a great looking website. go to the joomla website and look around theres a lot of info there

and yes you can use a browser to admin it and design it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Spiritof76 View Post
    I'm not even sure if Joomla is going to do what I want it to do. I am hoping it can help me actually create a page using my browser from my client machine.

Any thoughts?
    joomla can do what you want. Just for comparison you might want to take a look at some other similar tools to see which one matches the way you work.

I would suggest concrete5 and typolight to start - in addition to joomla.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by mbeach View Post
    joomla can do what you want. Just for comparison you might want to take a look at some other similar tools to see which one matches the way you work.

I would suggest concrete5 and typolight to start - in addition to joomla.
    I don't really know how I work, While I I have coded a copuple of pages in note pad, all of this is much more complex than anything I have ever done before.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Many of these cms's offer an online demo. After trying a couple out, one or more might stand out as easier to use for you. Rather than going through the trouble of installing locally and getting it up and running, trying the online demo could save you time in not installing one you don't like at all.

A site which has compiled a big list for you already:
    http://php.opensourcecms.com

Beans

Joomla is not really necessary for a home server. Its designed more for corporate users who want tight control over their developers.