Thread: Fan on cpu (newbie n00b question)

Beans

Fan on cpu (newbie n00b question)

Hi,

I have a fan than goes over my cpu slot in the motherboard. It is louder than I wish.

Other than getting a new fan, is there a way to solve this? If not, then what type of fan would I seek? Any recommendations? I do not want anything too expensive; this is an old computer.

Thanks.

mobo: ASUS p4s800
    cpu: p4 2.4 ghz
    I am a casual linux user who simply wants a Windows replacement. I have little computer knowledge so speak to me as if I were an easily confused child. Thank you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Fan on cpu (newbie n00b question)

In my COMP i have a external fan controller. It cost about 30$ and it controls up to 4 fans. One of them being the CPU fan. If it is too loud at night and i cant sleep i just turn the speed down. Its a great thing to have when trying to control fan noise.
    My Launchpad
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My Wiki Page

Beans

Spend some time on SPCR: http://www.silentpcreview.com/
    Unfortunately, P4's aren't exactly efficient CPU's.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I would first look in the BIOS for any settings related to the fan speed. If it has recently just become louder it could be a sign that the fan is going to fail soon and you will need to replace it.

Beans

Hi,

No, it has always been loud. I will follow your suggestions.

Thanks all.
    I am a casual linux user who simply wants a Windows replacement. I have little computer knowledge so speak to me as if I were an easily confused child. Thank you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thumbs down Re: Fan on cpu (newbie n00b question)

Something else you will want to check are the HS (heat-sink) fins. If it is an older computer, it could be that the heat sink fins are clogged with dirt, dust, hair,................. little tiny fuzzy monsters

If it is clogged with junk, then it is not dissipating the heat efficiently and so the BIOS is spinning the fan more than it needs to, to get even more air over the cooler.

I, personaly, would do this: (but it may be a little overkill. )

check the BIOS for fan settings and temp. thresh holds.
    clean the inside of the computer, with a vaccum (don't hit your components!!!!)
    take off the HSF (heat-sink & fan).
    clean the CPU (remove old crusty thermanl paste)
    clean the HSF (dust, hair, fuzzy monsters, old crusty thermanl paste off)
    insert CPU back into mobo (if taken out)
    apply new thermal grease to cpu
    re-attach HSF
    test system.

If you do this, make sure that:

you disconnect ALL connections (USB, VGA/DVI, power cables, etc.)
    allow all components to cool down (usually about 30 - 40 mins from power-off)
    GROUND YOURSELF BEFORE YOU TOUCH ANY COMPONENTS IN YOUR COMPUTER (use a static discharge wrist wrap or touch the cpomuter case every few moments)
    be extrememly careful with your CPU (dont bend the pins!!!)
    when you clean the cpu and hsf to get rid of the thermal grease, use a cotton swab and rubbing alcohol
    if you use the vaccum approach to clean the case, use some compressed air to loosen up the fuzzy monsters
    use common sense.

Once you get everything back together, you should see an improvement in noise and heat coming from your cpu/hsf. One of the best things you can do thought is enable any power saving functions that your BIOS might have for your cpu and also enable any fan/temp thresh-hold options.

Like I said, it might be a little extreme, but it works. When I get a computer from a family or friend, I do this and it helps the noise level a ton!! It allows better air flow, better heat dissipation, and the BIOS is better optimized. I do it on my own about every 8 - 12 months.

If you have questions, ask away!!

-Spydey