View Poll Results: Does Ubuntu 9.10 look good out-of -the box on a fresh install?

Voters
136. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, definately, it looks awesome

20 14.71%
  • Yes, it looks alright, though a few improvements would be nice

48 35.29%
  • No, I have to modify it to make it look good (e.g. emerald, AWN, etc)

46 33.82%
  • I don't care, functionality is more important to me

22 16.18%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Aesthetics of Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Aesthetics of Ubuntu

I would just like to know from this community of Ubuntu users (which I must say, is totally AWESOME!!! ) how many of you think Ubuntu looks good just after it is freshly installed. Personally, I think Ubuntu is getting there, but it could really do with a lot more improving to reach the smoothness of Windows 7 (even Mac OS X Leopard doesn't come close to MS, but I could be wrong in terms of Snow Leopard, since I haven't used that ) Sorry MS and Apple haters, but these two guys have aesthetics quite sussed, especially MS in terms of Windows 7. I just feel like staying in my virtualised Win 7 forever! That's what I really hope Ubuntu can beat MS and Apple at one day, and I know that they have the potential to do that

But yeah, just would like a say from the Ubuntu community about how Ubuntu looks, and if it doesn't look good, what should be done to make it better (screenshots would also be great )

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Aesthetics of Ubuntu

Moved to The Community Cafe

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I don't like the default so I change the themes and what not. I don't bother with docks as they annoy me. Mine ends up like this...

Live in Cornwall? Got a Raspberry PI?
    Cornwall Raspberry Pi Users Group

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I don't particularly care how it looks out of the box, as it is so easy to change anyway. Fortunately, I'm not all that annoyed by the default look either. Less-used machines I'll leave it. The only thing I immediately change is the background - I always use a black background - but I do that on any OS, with any theme.

Many gripe about the brown. Perhaps a different color would work better, but I'm just glad it isn't BLUE! Got really tired of blue hues everywhere a long time ago...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.10 Karmic Koala

There should be an option "it was so ugly it made my eyes bleed!"

Nah but seriously, Microsoft and Mac spend gazillions on their looks, Ubuntu's beauty is more on the inside

-grubby is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans
    Hidden!

It looks alright.

Beans

Personally I dont feel the crystalline looks of vista/7 to be all that amazing.
    I like a mix of simplistic but functional, gnome does a fine job in that department.
    For bling, there is always KDE.
    openSUSE 11.2 looks and feels nice

Quote Originally Posted by RandomJoe View Post
    Many gripe about the brown. Perhaps a different color would work better, but I'm just glad it isn't BLUE! Got really tired of blue hues everywhere a long time ago...
    Yeh agree here, blue is way overused.
    Last edited by SunnyRabbiera; November 25th, 2009 at 01:41 PM.
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I certainly feel that Karmic looked gorgeous out of the box - a different kind of beauty than other OSes, but beauty it was.

I do think it's time the initial appearance was... addressed with a bit more tact. Developers probably aren't the best versed designers in the world and may consider theming etc trivial, but first impressions really do count with Ma' and Pa' public - how do you think Vista still managed to sell despite the negative hoo-hah surrounding it? People were "wowed" by the looks of it.

Ubuntu isn't the worst look distro around (helly gNusense =P) but it is getting better with every release.
    OMG! Ubuntu!
    Everything Ubuntu. Daily.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I tweak the hell out of it.

And I wonder why hasn't this been moved directly to the recurring discussions
    Ubuntu user #20092 || I can't sing.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by madnessjack View Post
    There should be an option "it was so ugly it made my eyes bleed!"
    quoted for truth.

I wish there was an option at install to just install the default gnome theme, no branding, no brown and no compiz.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast