Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windows 7 and

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Angry Windows 7 and Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by howefield View Post
    Rather uninteresting "My Opinion by Art Schreckengost" piece on Windows 7 in the current edition on Full Circle Magazine.

By uninteresting, I mean it is merely an opinion, not a review of the OS.
    Exactly my point If FCM is going to do an Story on Windows 7 I think it should be a complete and fair Comparison. doing an OP-ED with out a counter point is intellectual dishonest IMHO. and the reason why I am posting this here is this is also the forum for FCM (or at least this is where FCM linked me too) I am by no means looking for a flame war just a open discussion.
    Registered Linux user number 472339
    Registered Ubuntu User number 22365

Beans

Re: Windows 7 and Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by axor1337 View Post
    If FCM is going to do an Story on Windows 7 I think it should be a complete and fair Comparison. doing an OP-ED with out a counter point is intellectual dishonest IMHO.
    Well, what are you waiting for ?

Go write a piece and submit it for publication. You know how it works.

The piece is flagged up front as an opinion, the authors opinion, suggesting otherwise is intellectually dishonest. Just because you don't like the content doesn't make it any less valid for the author.

Beans

Re: Windows 7 and

I am curious about this part of the article:

"As for application speed, 7 is lightning quick for Microsoft apps but not for others. Windows Explorer will open so fast you'd better not look away after clicking or you'll miss it. Ditto for Microsoft works. Now move on to OpenOffice, Firefox, Quicken, or any non-MS product and you'll get a shock. You're going to have to wait. Quite often these products won't boot any quicker than under XP or Vista. MS claims this is a safety feature to make sure the apps won't compromise the OS, but after a couple of uses it should become apparent that I do want this program to open and I do trust it."

I have done basically the same observation in win 7. Microsoft programs are lightning fast, while other application are slower to start than in Vista or even XP. Has Microsoft really made some kind of "block" for certain applications disguised as a "safety feature"? Does anyone know where I can read more about this "security feature"? Of course I want to trust FCM, but since it is an Ubuntu publication I want to check the sources!

Beans

I love ubuntu far better than win7. I'm not denying that win7 is good, but it's so resource hungry IMHO

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

on a limited resource machine you are right netbook remix is far faster on my daughters Aspire 1 even with 2 GB of ram compared to win7 home premium. she dual boots it and for basic web surfing she uses Ubuntu Remix, but for her school work she still boots to Windows. I am by no means a hater on Ubuntu. I run it as a VM on my computer. But I find that I am using it less and less as I am really loving my windows 7.
    Registered Linux user number 472339
    Registered Ubuntu User number 22365

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

For some reasons I'm quite agree wtih axor1337.. Windows 7 is not that bad, in facts it's far more better than Vista and XP, it has a very good support for hardware devices...
    And like axor1337, sometimes Ubuntu/Linux OS need some tinkering to get something done.. Some of my devices are not working either... I remember when I install ubuntu 8.04 on my acer 4530, I spend a lot of hours to get my atheros wireless card working back then But I did not gave up on Ubuntu..
    Other than that Ubuntu is far more easier to customize than Windows OS (I tried to make my ubuntu looks like Mac OS X just with a few changes and low on resource, unlike windows os that requires you to install many eye candy application that is resource hungry, app like windows blind, stardock, etc.)
    But on the other sides I cannot afford to left windows because of some work that I can only be done in windows, like updating my phone firmware, photoshop,etc)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12