Thread: Toshiba Satellite screen res problems

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Toshiba Satellite screen res problems

Hi all,

I'm installing Ubuntu 9.04 on a Toshiba Satellite, and am having a few problems. Initially when I installed, the screen resolution was set at 1024 by 768. I changed the resolution to 1280 by 800 (which is the native resolution of the screen). The problem is that whenever I have to restart the laptop, the screen resolution always reverts back to the low resolution.

The graphics chipset is an Intel Mobile 4 Series chipset, but I don't know which one. The relevant section of the output to lspci is below:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)
    00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)
    If anyone knows what to do to fix this, that would be excellent. This laptop is for a new Ubuntu user =]

Beans

Re: Toshiba Satellite screen res problems

Go to System>Preferences>Display and when it asks if you want to use NVIDIA settings click **NO**. It will take you to the ubuntu display manager. Set that one to the right resolution and see if it stays.
    ‎"Beauty in things exists in the mind which contemplates them." -- David Hume

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Toshiba Satellite screen res problems

Thanks for the help Sin, I ended up just installing Karmic and it worked fine. I guess all the bad wrap about Karmic didn't count in all cases!