Thread: Cpu jumps up 80% when playing video

Beans

Cpu jumps up 80% when playing video

Hi,I've been having problems playing flash and it using up all my CPU but even more strangle and frustrating is that with my CPU at rest circa 5% with no browsers or apps running.Then I play a movie in VLC or the default MoviePLayer my CPU jump 80% to 85 or 95% and the video becomes unwatchable.

Please help as I dont want to have to boot into XP just to watch a movie!!

Dell Inspiron 9300
    Pentium M 1.73
    2GB ram 1GB swap...
    Karmic
    Kernel 2.6.31-15

Thanks o wise ones

Beans

Re: Cpu jumps up 80% when playing video

Bump

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Cpu jumps up 80% when playing video

Jonny, I have the exact same setup as you. I haven't done a whole lot with my laptop after this install, but I have run the following code, as per the multimedia instructions for my Ubuntu distribution:

Code:
    sudo wget http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/`lsb_release -cs`.list --output-document=/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list; sudo apt-get -q update; sudo apt-get --yes -q --allow-unauthenticated install medibuntu-keyring; sudo apt-get -q update

sudo apt-get remove gnash gnash-common libflashsupport mozilla-plugin-gnash swfdec-mozilla && sudo apt-get install alsa-oss faac faad flashplugin-nonfree gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad-multiverse gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly-multiverse gstreamer0.10-pitfdll libmp3lame0 non-free-codecs sun-java6-fonts sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin unrar
    I have just tested a DVD, which runs fine, and my CPU is running at about 74% capacity with it running and top of 33% when not. However, I *have* set my CPU Frequency Scaling to 1.73 GHz, with a similarly named tool that I found when I right clicked the Gnome panel at the top (or bottom) of the screen and clicked "Add to panel..." This setting gives me more responsiveness when I don't care too much about power consumption (that is, when I'm plugged in to the wall). Maybe this is the problem? Or do you have a more difficult video test?

Also, to everyone else out there with an Inspiron 9300, feel free to friend me, and maybe we can help each other with similar problems.

Aaron
    Last edited by aaronchall; November 29th, 2009 at 07:28 AM. Reason: clarification
    Dell Studio 1558, 6 gigs RAM, i5-460M processor, dual core, hyperthreading, 10.10 primary, W7 in Virtualbox, learning, please tell me where to find the manual, Keep in touch. <><