Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can't get Ubuntu Key (i.e., left Windows key) Working

Beans

Question Ubuntu/windows key help?

Hey UbuntuForums,

I am, admittedly, an Ubuntu n00b. I have a Starling netbook running 9.10 NR, and I love it. It's taught me a lot about the OS as well, as it complements my desktop running 9.10.

Anyway, to help me make the "transition" into Ubuntu, I was hoping to get the Ubuntu key on my Starling to act like the Windows key. At the very least, I'd like to be able to simply press it and have it take me to the desktop (or Favorites section in Netbook Remix). I was able to go into the Keyboards Shortcut program and set things like Ubuntu+R to open a terminal. I also set the hyper key to work as win-keys, whatever that means...

I tried finding a tutorial or something to help me out, but I think half of my problem is that I don't rightly know what to call this key. It shows up on the system as Mod4, but other than that, I don't know if it's a Meta key, Hyper key, or what.

Can anyone shed some light on this?
    Also, when the Keyboards utility mentions Win-keys, what exactly is it refering to?

Thanks for the insight and the help.

Edit:
    Sorry I didn't see this thread originally. But, following NathanZal's workaround, I was able to map the Ubuntu key as SuperL in the Keyboard Shortcuts utility. Now it does whatever I want, but only as a single key, or a single function of that key. Any shortcuts I had set before to be Mod4+____ no longer work, as the function of the SuperL key supersedes them.
    Just for everyone's FYI. I'm going to set it back to being a Mod key and manually set Windows-like shortcuts. To be clear, you can do this to set it back if you also disabled Mod4:

>xmodmap -e "add mod4 = Super_L"

Simple enough that even I figured it out.
    Last edited by ligaa9mm; December 17th, 2009 at 06:20 PM. Reason: followup

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Can't get Ubuntu Key (i.e., left Windows key) Working

Quote Originally Posted by NathanZal View Post
    I stumbled on a workaround. If I do this in a console:

>xmodmap -e "remove mod4 = Super_L"

...then when I go back into "Keyboard Shortcuts" and attempt to change the shortcut for the panel menu, pressing the Ubuntu key produces "Super_L," which is what I wanted it to be in the first place.

So the ubuntu key now produces the panel menu.

Better yet, this setting survives rebooting. Even though xmodmap says Super_L is once again a mod4 key, it still works as a panel menu key.

I presume there is a way to fix this that isn't a hack.
    Thanks, Nathan, that works great!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

...then when I go back into "Keyboard Shortcuts" and attempt to change the shortcut for the panel menu, pressing the Ubuntu key produces "Super_L," which is what I wanted it to be in the first place.

Better yet, this setting survives rebooting. Even though xmodmap says Super_L is once again a mod4 key, it still works as a panel menu key.

Thank you very much for posting this! My Ubuntu key is working and my laptop is now 28% more awesome
    Last edited by Groucho Marxist; February 8th, 2010 at 04:53 PM.
    Linux systems are like LEGOs :
    they are infinitely customizable
    and limited only by a user's imagination.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Smile Re: Can't get Ubuntu Key (i.e., left Windows key) Working

Extend the functions with the Super key by following the link at my signature.
    How can I use a signature in forums?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by AZ_RUNE View Post
    Nathan,

when you execute the command below does that modify it for all users on the system or just for your user account?

Thanks,
    AZ_RUNE
    Since the keyboard shortcuts are in the "Preferences" menu, and the xmodmap command is executed as user and not superuser, my guess is that it is user specific, and not machine wide. I don't use multiple accounts, though. Why don't you give it a try and let us know how it works out?

By the way, I had to redo the workaround after upgrading to 10.04. No surprises there.

Cheers!

Beans

Thanks for posting this. Default behavior for this key changed in 10.04; it worked exactly as you desired in 9.04 and 9.10. I had gotten accustomed to using the "Windows" key (which was labeled as a "Home" key on a Linux Acer AA1) to jump to the desktop. I don't know why Canonical changed the behavior, nor (as far as I can see) why the change isn't documented.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Well, I have used my Super L key to function as the Expo Key ever since I starting using Ubuntu (Hardy), because to me a 'windows key' is far more useful in allowing me to zoom out to show all my desktops

But upgrading to 10.04 broke it.

Nothing I have read anywhere so far is able to fix this.

If I clear the Expo key binding from within Compiz and reset it to just the super key, pressing it once makes all my windows disappear and just shows the desktop. Pressing it again brings them back. But the Expo Key is not supposed to do this, obviously. The Expo key zooms out to show the desktops. If I rebind the expo key to 'Ctrl-0' or whatever it does as it should.

What is going on with the Super L key in 10.04??

This didn't change anything for me:

xmodmap -e "remove mod4 = Super_L

xev gives:
    Code:
      KeyRelease event, serial 35, synthetic NO, window 0x5200001,
        root 0x111, subw 0x0, time 4619735, (-297,517), root:(798,570),
        state 0x40, keycode 133 (keysym 0xffeb, Super_L), same_screen YES,
        XLookupString gives 0 bytes: 
        XFilterEvent returns: False

*Update*

Correction --> after upgrading to 10.04 the key binding settings in my main user account were fully intact (SuperL was and still is bound to Expo Key). But in my wife's account this does not/cannot happen. When I try, the little grey box that shows the key binding immediately changes to 'disabled'. Marvellous. Prehaps if I can somehow apply my account settings to be system wide as the default for all accounts, then this could fix it?
    Last edited by Prium; August 7th, 2010 at 10:14 AM. Reason: more info

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I think in 10.04, the Expo key combination is the Windows Key and Tab simultaneously.
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Smile Re: Can't get Ubuntu Key (i.e., left Windows key) Working

Quote Originally Posted by thomasaaron View Post
    I think in 10.04, the Expo key combination is the Windows Key and Tab simultaneously.
    To know/reset the binding to default, one may click on the reset button at the end of the item [with a sweep icon]

How can I use a signature in forums?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12