Thread: Usb modem detection In Karmic?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Exclamation Usb modem detection In Karmic?

I have recently done a fresh install of Karmic on my Gateway MX7527 laptop, along side my currant Windows XP install.

However I have been unable to get Ubuntu, even in my last install of Jaunty, to recognize my usb modem on its own.
    In order to go online using my modem I must first boot Windows with the modem inserted, just sitting at the login screen does the trick. I then reboot to Ubuntu with the modem still inserted and I can go online no problem. But if I were to remove the modem while running Ubuntu I would have to reboot into windows to make the modem work again and then go back to Ubuntu. This makes keeping Ubuntu up to date very annoying as I have to boot my computer twice just to surf the web in Ubuntu.

I have come to two conclusions either I need a driver similar to the one used by windows for Linux, or Ubuntu simply can’t detect hardware properly. I have been unable to find an answer to this and if anyone could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

For all those who want to know, not that I think it makes a difference , I am using a Novatel Wireless modem that connects to the verizon network.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Usb modem detection In Karmic?