Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Why not replace F-Spot too, with gThumb!

Beans

Lightbulb Why not replace F-Spot too, with gThumb!

F-Spot isn't too good for spontaneous needs, having to import stuff etc, and its viewer isn't much for organizing.

gThumb does all of these things well (even organizes video clips) whilst keeping it simple, and it has a small footprint. Why confuse the average user with F-Spot!

Make F-Spot go away from the default install the same way as with the GIMP. People who need it will find it, otherwise gThumb with its easy-to-understand UI is the way to go.

Link to the idea on brainstorm: http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22673/
    Last edited by animaniac; November 27th, 2009 at 04:15 AM.

Beans

Re: Why not replace F-Spot too, with gThumb!

Yes, F-Spot ... just sucks
    I noticed the garantee for the GTK app to be good is to be included into default Gnome. Most others GTK apps are toys with questionable usability, just like Banshee, Gnome-do, F-Spot, Galaxium, etc. BTW, Gthumb is not included into gnome and it is bad too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Why indeed replace an application with a great development community who not only has continued to bring us great software for ages but who are pleased with the announcement that gimp will no longer be shipped by default, understands the responsibility this carries for them to do these new limited use cases well and immediately starts working on the features we request and remains open to improvements..

Why indeed..
    On strike during the Oneiric cycle due to ungratefulness of Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

And how will you export pictures to Picasa, Flickr, Facebook, SmugMug, 23hq how will you create web gallery with gThumb why gThumb is better than F-Spot, why do you say for app which doesn't have half features of F-Spot that is better !!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by e-Gee View Post
    And how will you export pictures to Picasa, Flickr, Facebook, SmugMug, 23hq how will you create web gallery with gThumb why gThumb is better than F-Spot, why do you say for app which doesn't have half features of F-Spot that is better !!
    I think adding support for web services would be a lot less work than transforming F-Spot to something as easy as gThumb.

Also calling gThumb low on features because it lacks one trivial feature that f-spot happens to have is ignorant, by the same logic i can say F-Spot has half the features of gThumb because it doesn't let you see or organize videos that it imports, something i would consider to be an even more basic feature considering video being standard in most cameras these days.

and FYI: Even if there is no direct service integration currently, gThumb does have rather excellent web album creation, allowing easy addition of photos onto any webserver. So it does have web functions, only in a way that makes them non specific to any web service, that could even be a good thing (especially for Canonical, i know i would love to see Ubuntu One providing users with easy basic web-hosting)

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by e-Gee View Post
    "This development version doesn't support exporting to web-albums or photo services. This is likely only a temporary omission."
    Open your mind, use open source!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thumbs down Re: Why not replace F-Spot too, with gThumb!

Quote Originally Posted by ricsi-pontaz View Post
    "This development version doesn't support exporting to web-albums or photo services. This is likely only a temporary omission."
    What is easy in gThumb and it is not easy in F-Spot I didn't know that F-Spot is complicated, I just think that the better app with more features should be in default install of Ubuntu and when gThumb become better with more features than F-Spot than it should replace it.

This will be my next book to write
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ricsi-pontaz View Post
    An assumption based on nothing but the authors "hunch".

I do like the new look of it. But from what I can see it still doesn't replace F-spot functionality. Having to manually arrange my photos is a chore. I want the app to do it for me once I plug my camera or point it to the folder that has my pics.
    Last edited by zekopeko; November 27th, 2009 at 03:49 PM.
    WARNING: "sudo rm -rf /" = BAD Read this for more information.
    Q6600-Abit IP35-2 GB RAM-250GTS 1GB

*Docky FTW!*

Beans
    Distro

gthumb is going under some intense work of its own just now :-

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2009/11/n...ot-killer.html

Beans
    Distro

+1 for gThumb
    Desktops: AMD64X2 3GB RAM 500GB SATA2 GeForce9400GT - P4 HT 3.2Ghz 1GB RAM 250GB IDE + 2x160GB SATA ATI Radeon X740XL - Laptop AMD AthlonXP 1.6 512MB RAM 120GB HD ATI M200

Gina's Ubuntu HowTo's for beginners (and reference)

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast