Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 131

Thread: Why not replace F-Spot too, with gThumb!

  1. #101
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Beans
    1,273

    Re: Why not replace F-Spot too, with gThumb!

    Quote Originally Posted by GMU_DodgyHodgy View Post
    You still have not made a plausible argument with specifics beyond your complaint about mono.
    Because their only argument is "because it is mono".

  2. #102
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Sverige/Lödöse
    Beans
    163
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Why not replace F-Spot too, with gThumb!

    Quote Originally Posted by noelvh View Post
    I my self have use F-spot for a few years and find it will a pain in the neck. I can not stand the way it puts my files in folders under folders under folders all with a number for a name. Gthumb was quik and easy. All my photos go under one folder and not a ton of subfolders.
    Why is it be better to keep all your photo's in one folder? That certainly does not make it easier to organise them. And the argument 'with a number for a name' does not make sense either. Those are not 'just numbers', they are dates. If your camera or scanner app has been configured correctly they are the dates on which the photos were taken - plus or minus some hours as f-spot has the annoying habit of changing the time based on the local time zone, a bug if ever there was one.

    And in case you have not noticed yet you can configure f-spot to leave your photos in place when importing them, just uncheck the 'copy photos' widget when you import them. That would make it possible to have them all in one big folder...

    How you organise your email? All little text files in one big folder? If not, why not? Is it because you use an application to manage them and trust that application to be able to show any selected message you might care to read and who cares where it got that message from? Or where it puts it when you check your mail?
    [ "Omnis enim res, quae dando non deficit, dum habetur et non datur, nondum habetur, quomodo habenda est." ]

  3. #103
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Beans
    1,499
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Why not replace F-Spot too, with gThumb!

    Quote Originally Posted by knarf View Post
    Why is it be better to keep all your photo's in one folder? That certainly does not make it easier to organise them. And the argument 'with a number for a name' does not make sense either. Those are not 'just numbers', they are dates. If your camera or scanner app has been configured correctly they are the dates on which the photos were taken - plus or minus some hours as f-spot has the annoying habit of changing the time based on the local time zone, a bug if ever there was one.

    And in case you have not noticed yet you can configure f-spot to leave your photos in place when importing them, just uncheck the 'copy photos' widget when you import them. That would make it possible to have them all in one big folder...

    How you organise your email? All little text files in one big folder? If not, why not? Is it because you use an application to manage them and trust that application to be able to show any selected message you might care to read and who cares where it got that message from? Or where it puts it when you check your mail?
    Also, with all photos in one place, what happens with duplicate names?

    For example, if I import my pictures and clear the camera, some cameras will start with the same name but number increment back at "1". To import them into the same folder causes the possibility of overwriting older ones.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

  4. #104
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Beans
    60
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

    Re: Why not replace F-Spot too, with gThumb!

    I am really surprised about all the hubub about Mono and related applications. To satiate my curiousity - I downloaded the development environment and played around with some of the classes and tools. It is a solid development platform and enables the relatively quick development of quality applications for the Linux platform.

    I like Java and have used Netbeans for a while and am very comfortable with using Java to develop applications and tools I need. Having said that - The Mono IDE and supporting libraries are quite solid and provide an excellent addition to the Linux ecosystem.

    With all the cries about having first rate applications be developed for Linux - it amazes me the hugh and cry that ensues when someone does just that.

    Yikes.
    Finding New Ways to Use Ubuntu to Simplify My Digital Life.
    Linux - The Platform for a New Digital Generation.

  5. #105
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Beans
    323
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

    Re: Why not replace F-Spot too, with gThumb!

    Quote Originally Posted by GMU_DodgyHodgy View Post
    With all the cries about having first rate applications be developed for Linux - it amazes me the hugh and cry that ensues when someone does just that.
    I think you have mixed things up. No one that actually does development is crying. Only people who "would totally make a better application than Banshee and F-Spot in C in less than a week".

  6. #106
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Beans
    60
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

    Re: Why not replace F-Spot too, with gThumb!

    Quote Originally Posted by [h2o] View Post
    I think you have mixed things up. No one that actually does development is crying. Only people who "would totally make a better application than Banshee and F-Spot in C in less than a week".
    Well played sir. I am not trying to bash anyone or their point of view - however, it seems odd that when someone provides tools and software of value - for free btw - people seem to get up in arms over it just because there may be some MS "taint" to it.

    I am concerned that emotion will overplay logic when important decisions are considered regarding linux, the desktop and the overall environment.
    Finding New Ways to Use Ubuntu to Simplify My Digital Life.
    Linux - The Platform for a New Digital Generation.

  7. #107
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Beans
    1,499
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Why not replace F-Spot too, with gThumb!

    Quote Originally Posted by GMU_DodgyHodgy View Post
    I am really surprised about all the hubub about Mono and related applications. To satiate my curiousity - I downloaded the development environment and played around with some of the classes and tools. It is a solid development platform and enables the relatively quick development of quality applications for the Linux platform.

    I like Java and have used Netbeans for a while and am very comfortable with using Java to develop applications and tools I need. Having said that - The Mono IDE and supporting libraries are quite solid and provide an excellent addition to the Linux ecosystem.

    With all the cries about having first rate applications be developed for Linux - it amazes me the hugh and cry that ensues when someone does just that.

    Yikes.
    Still waiting for the Mono-haters to start developing competing applications in Java.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

  8. #108
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Beans
    81

    Re: Why not replace F-Spot too, with gThumb!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonbite View Post
    Still waiting for the Mono-haters to start developing competing applications in Java.
    <snip> I'm not against mono. I'm against using mono for end user apps. I would never suggest any end user java applications: they sucks even worse than mono ones. My point is: Ubuntu should use applications suggested by Gnome developers. They fits gnome philosophy the best. Other apps usually brings inconsistency. The only exception is Tomboy, but it's clear it will be removed soon since Gnote is getting mature.
    Last edited by PmDematagoda; December 1st, 2009 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Removed insult

  9. #109
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Beans
    81

    Re: Why not replace F-Spot too, with gThumb!

    Quote Originally Posted by GMU_DodgyHodgy View Post
    Well played sir. I am not trying to bash anyone or their point of view - however, it seems odd that when someone provides tools and software of value - for free btw - people seem to get up in arms over it just because there may be some MS "taint" to it.

    I am concerned that emotion will overplay logic when important decisions are considered regarding linux, the desktop and the overall environment.
    Well, if you are so talented: try to make Banshee launching as fast as RB. RB scans huge XML during startup, but it still starts much faster than Banshee, although it uses sqlite and doesn't spend time on similar actions.

  10. #110
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Beans
    60
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

    Re: Why not replace F-Spot too, with gThumb!

    Quote Originally Posted by BbICEP View Post
    Well, if you are so talented: try to make Banshee launching as fast as RB. RB scans huge XML during startup, but it still starts much faster than Banshee, although it uses sqlite and doesn't spend time on similar actions.

    I actually did this last night. I compared Banshee and RB and Banshee actually started up a hair faster than Rhythm box with the same library. So despite all your claims - Banshee is faster and more feature filled than RB. When RB development keeps up with Banshee then maybe I will reinstall it.

    Regarding java apps - umm they can be quite good end user apps. JGnash is written in java and blows away GnuCash in useability, features, and the UI. Your biases are showing again.
    Finding New Ways to Use Ubuntu to Simplify My Digital Life.
    Linux - The Platform for a New Digital Generation.

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •