Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Random USB Mouse Freeze with NVIDIA

Beans

Unhappy Random USB Mouse Freeze with NVIDIA

Hello

I am a system administrator, but little new to Linux.

I have a desktop system (Personal) with the following configuration.

AMD Phenom X4 9550, ASUS M3N78-VM Motherboard (NVIDIA GeForce 8200), 2 GB RAM, Logitech USB Mouse, Logitech PS/2 Keyboard

I have recently installed Ubuntu Karmic erasing all my previous jaunty installation.

Since then, I am facing frequent random mouse hangs and everything else is working fine. Even when mouse freezes everything seems to work with keyboard. I am able to do a normal soft reset with Ctrl+Alt+Del, but it has become so regular and annoying.

All my system works fine when I put the same HDD in another system with ATI or Intel Graphics, so it seems to have something to do with NVIDIA.

It also works fine when I put the same HDD in an NVIDIA system with PS/2 mouse.

I have no choice on my Motherboard to use a PS/2 mouse, so I am locked up.

Is there any way I can isolate the issue, what is causing the freeze (any software package),or if it a real bug yet unsolved,, any test or log etc?

Beans

Unhappy Re: Random USB Mouse Freeze with NVIDIA

Somebody please help...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Random USB Mouse Freeze with NVIDIA

I have been having the same problems, I have an Asus M3N78-PRO motherboard And a cheap USB keyboard and mouse.

Both the mouse and keyboard hang on me at random though the mouse hangs more.

I also have an USB HP printer that as far as I can tell doesn't hang but it does have it's USB connection reset every few seconds to minuts, and while the KB and mouse don't hang on Win7 the printer still does the connection reset thing.

While I am not sure I belive it is related to the motherboard.

After a hang typeing "lsusb" in a console gets me nothing the program just hangs.

Yesterday while chating with a friend the keyboard hung ay the exact moment I hit the "H" key, this resulted in a never ending string of "hhhhhhhhhhh" so I am not sure of what happened there.

Resetting the computer seems to be the only fix.

I hate this makes me want to use another distro.

I wish I at least knew how to reset the USB sistem without having to reset the whole computer

Beans

Although I did not find a working solution, I have been out of the problem with a little expensive workaround,

I have put two USB Mice (both logitech) to two different ports and when one mouse hangs the other one is working for me. Very rarely I see both hanging up.

Again,

This is nowhere a solution, and I seriously need a solution.

Somebody Please help..

Beans

Any Idea????

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I think I have seen this problem a long time ago, in a computer with nvidia chipset. If I am remembering correctly, I managed to solve it by going into BIOS and turn OFF the setting for "USB keyboard/mouse legacy support".

Beans

Tried switching off compiz, still the same problem.

In my BIOS Legacy USB option is not available.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I updated the BIOS to ver 1301 and turned the high precision timer ( can't remember the exact name ) off.

The result has been only one lock up sense my last post.

Beans

Where should I turn off the high precision timer?

Beans

I have the same problem, but my mouse seems to always freeze just as I'm trying to view my webcam. Only once has it frozen otherwise, and that was when I was booted from the karmic koala live CD (while trying to fix a different problem).

Also, I'm having trouble getting anything USB to work. My USB keyboard seems fine, but just about anything else I plug in will not work. Sometimes (but not always) lsusb will hang. When it doesn't hang, it shows the device I have plugged in just fine (such as a bluetooth dongle or webcam), but the device still doesn't work. Sometimes the webcam will work, but then I lose my mouse when I try to view it.

Does anyone know how to reset the USB subsystem without having to reboot?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast