Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: All permissions seemingly denied.

Beans

All permissions seemingly denied.

I'm completely new to Ubuntu and linux/unix/open source operating systems/etc. and am having some difficulty getting acclimated. Is this a good place to ask questions? For one thing, I am unable to install any plugins. Permissions are denied. Secondly, drivers give me a similar issue. I'm trying to access my wireless router using wifi, but Ubuntu does not recognise my wireless card though it did when I was using the live CD. Problem is, though, it won't let me install the drivers necessary. Also, when installing Adobe flash, it refuses to do so. When I try to manually move the necessary flash plugin to the proper folder, it also refuses. What gives?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: All permissions seemingly denied.

Quote Originally Posted by zezuza View Post
    Is this a good place to ask questions?
    It certainly is

Regarding your wifi drivers, check System > Admin > Hardware drivers and install anything it recommends.

On Ubuntu, we get our software from secure central repositories, not from websites like you do on Windows.

For Flash, go to Applications > Ubuntu Software Centre and search for "restrcited extras" and install it. As for you plugins, plugins for what exactly?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

You won't be able to install any packages (e.g. Flash) unless you have a working internet connection, which I assume you don't since your wireless isn't working. Which wifi card do you have?

Anytime you want to install programs or drivers etc., you need to do so as root or admin. See https://help.ubuntu.com/9.10/add-app...s/C/index.html

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Check these out:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoftwareManagement
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UsingTheTerminal
    https://help.ubuntu.com/9.10/add-app...s/C/index.html

Your account should have super-user status.
    From the command line (in an terminal: Applications-->Accessories-->Terminal) it is easy enough to assume super-user status temporarily by putting 'sudo' before any operation that requires administrator level or privileges.

For GUI applications, you may be presented with a window asking for your password to proceed as a super-user.
    Last edited by mavigozler; November 26th, 2009 at 06:10 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    install anything it recommends.

For Flash, go to Applications > Ubuntu Software Centre and search for "restrcited extras" and install it.
    Well, yeah, I've tried all that, but it still denies me access to do any of it! As a result, I'm a sad panda.

Quote Originally Posted by oldos2er View Post
    You won't be able to install any packages (e.g. Flash) unless you have a working internet connection, which I assume you don't since your wireless isn't working. Which wifi card do you have?
    I can connect to the internet using my wired network, which is how I'm on here in the first place, but even so, I download the required drivers/plugins/etc. Ubuntu tells me it can't find whatever it needs to complete the install or it tells me that I lack permission to do so.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Is the account you are using set up with administrative privileges?

Go to System -> Administration -> Users and Groups to check.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mavigozler View Post
    Your account should have super-user status.
    From the command line (in an terminal: Applications-->Accessories-->Terminal) it is easy enough to assume super-user status temporarily by putting 'sudo' before any operation that requires administrator level or privileges.
    That doesn't help. I've lurked about for a day and a half before finally making this thread and did all that in terminal to try to get it working, but nonetheless am met with similar issues.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by zezuza View Post
    I can connect to the internet using my wired network, which is how I'm on here in the first place, but even so, I download the required drivers/plugins/etc. Ubuntu tells me it can't find whatever it needs to complete the install or it tells me that I lack permission to do so.
    Are you using terminal commands? If so, can you copy and paste the errors here?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by iponeverything View Post
    Is the account you are using set up with administrative privileges?
    There are only two accounts: mine and root, and neither of which seem to function as I imagined they should, or am I just wrong?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Can you copy your terminal screen when you get rejected please?

You can put the terminal inside some tags and it will look good.

"[c*ode] paste the terminal message [/c*ode]" (Take out the asterisk)

it will look like this

Code:
    paste the terminal message
    Don
    Looks fine to me but then I don't know/care what you run

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast