Thread: extra hard drives with ubuntu server and home network

Beans

Arrow extra hard drives with ubuntu server and home network

OK,

Im installing Ubuntu 9.10 Desktop edition. Then im going to install Lamp. That part i have figured out pretty much. But this will be on its own computer. I have 6 other hard drives i want installed in the tower. ive been searching around for this but cant find much of anything. I want to be able to browse any of the hard drives on the linux server from any computer in the house. ( or the internet ). 2 hard drives out of 6, are empty , 4 of them have data on them. all drives are NTFS format.

if anyone has any helpful information.

I want this a webserver AND home server.

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: extra hard drives with ubuntu server and home network

I advise you use Samba.

Samba Server

What do you need help with ?
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by pcrat View Post
    OK,

Im installing Ubuntu 9.10 Desktop edition. Then im going to install Lamp. That part i have figured out pretty much. But this will be on its own computer. I have 6 other hard drives i want installed in the tower. ive been searching around for this but cant find much of anything. I want to be able to browse any of the hard drives on the linux server from any computer in the house. ( or the internet ). 2 hard drives out of 6, are empty , 4 of them have data on them. all drives are NTFS format.

if anyone has any helpful information.

I want this a webserver AND home server.

Thanks
    Samba is good for sharing over the local network, however, for access over the internet, I would advise using authenticated FTP with a dynamic domain name. I have been doing this with vsftpd and DynDNS for years. There are extensive instructions in the Ubuntu Server Guide.
    If it jams, force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway. . .
    I like Unity.

Beans

alright, yea ftp is good, i also use dyndns,

Im new to Samba sharing, i used to use on my xbox, but will read through the guide.

Thanks,,