Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Other favorite distro?

Re: Other favorite distro?

Besides Ubuntu, I still have, and use daily Vector Linux 4.3 Rox filer kicks butt as a file manager teamed with IceWM. Solid, stable, fast, same install going strong for 3 years now.

After I bought Mandrake 7.2 a few years back, I was a distro adict. I've tried at least 90 of distrowatch's top 100. That was until my first beta install of Warty. Now I don't much care for other distros. Not much free time any more either.

Sure I still read the reviews of other distro's. And once in a while I'll even install one to a spare hard drive, but none ever last longer than a week. To be honest, most don't last longer than a day.

I recently ran the newest Fedora and CentOs, and have been looking to try Suse again, maybe next weekend.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

zenwalk 2.4

speed and rock solid stability of Slackware, except without the out of date packages

and it has netpkg, an addition to the slackware pkgtool set that allows you to install packages from an online repository.

And a small but very helpful community
    My Site: theshadowaspect.com
    Anyone who uses phrases like Winblows, or M$, or Microsucks, etc. are not doing the Linux world any favors.

Beans

My other favorite is Ubuntu, Arch takes number 1 for me, I try to love Ubuntu more... but once everyone started trying Arch and said how good it was, I jumped in, and don't regret it. I feel Ubuntu is more for people who want to use a system and don't mind not having it optimized. While I'm still no expert, I find Arch to be a nice mix of Gentoo and Slackware, and I love it. Arch has taught me a lot about Linux, I have known how to use and administer for a while, but Arch teaches everything, it makes you use the CLI, and you really get to know the internals... I love it

[/rant]

In short, Arch > Ubuntu

Ubuntu still rocks tho

Beans

Gentoo.

Registered Linux User #364765

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

PCLinuxOS!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

my favourite is fedora. unlike some others (eg suse etc), they know where they're heading. novell wants to get rid of KDE entirely, but they kmow that they can't p off the KDE folk too much, so they have to begrudgingly make concessions. i wish ubuntu would abandon kubuntu and the others so they can concentrate on their initial plan. lets face it, the only purpose of kubuntu and xubuntu and the others is just to bring the numbers up. kubuntu and the others will only ever be a half hearted efforts. canonical should get rid of the others, realise their direction, and focus exclusively on ubuntu. i really don't like it when a distro because too 'polluted' etc. the downside to fedora is that they're poluted slightly too (eg going with gcj isntead of sun java etc), but not in such a way as to affect it too negatively

Beans

I used a little Fedora Core 4 before switching to Ubuntu. However Ubuntu made me delete my Windows partition and only use Linux. They say Damn Small Linux works very fast, the same with Slackware, but on the other hand Slackware is harder to configure. I didn't tried DSL and Slackware I had it for one hour, not because it was hard to configure, but it was the first time I saw KDE and I except the fact it was fast, I didn't like it. I also had Debian for a while, my impression about Debian was that it's not as stable as the others two, despite this "rock stable" story that is said about it. Only my impression, as a newbie.

I have a desktop PC, and Ubuntu seemed to me the only system that detected correctly and without file configuration all my hardware, I guess this should happen to laptops too. And this forums are great for Ubuntu, post your question and you will definetely get an answer, and there is very much activity here.

Beans

I like FreeBSD, but too much time needs to be spent compiling stuff.
    But I mean no harm nor put fault
    On anyone that lives in a vault
    But it's alright, Ma, if I can't please him.

Beans

Gentoo is my all time favorite, but as said before it requires too much time. My second choice is therefore Kanotix, which is basically Debian Sid with a custom kernel and some tweaks. It´s faster than all other debian forks i´ve seen before ,supports more hardware than all other distros and works very well with laptops from what i´ve heard.

Beans

Debian, been so since the 2.0 days.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast