Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Will Not Recognize Intel Wireless 4965 on Karmic -Please Help

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Smile Re: Will Not Recognize Intel Wireless 4965 on Karmic -Please Help

I had wireless trouble with Karmic also and tried many, many things. I ended up loading Liunx Mint which is also Karmic based and it works fine, just a thought.
    Mint 14 | 64bit | DT ACER VN281G | Intel® Atom™ CPU D425 @ 1.80GHz × 2 | Registered Linux User#458200

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Will Not Recognize Intel Wireless 4965 on Karmic -Please Help

Okay, I contacted some of my friends who are much more experienced techs (they work with Windows computers, but have VAST knowledge regarding hardware issues), via IRC chat.

Here's the convo log (I'm Trek, one of my friends is Milborn):
    <Trek> now for my turn.
    <Trek> someone decided to swap out the wifi card in their laptop (originally Broadcom) to an Intel card. Their computer detected it for all of 5 seconds.
    <Trek> now when they try and manually configure it (the Intel card, and in any OS) it returns one of two errors: not present, or EEPROM input/output errors.
    <Trek> can we safely assume the card isn't functioning properly?
    <Milborn> pretty much or its just not compatible
    So, because we know the card is compatible with your OS, and it should be compatible with your hardware (I have a Dell Latitude laptop, and it uses an Intel card, possibly the same model as you), we can assume that the Intel card died or was damaged somehow during installation. Or, perhaps the card was DOA (Dead on Arrival).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by mercerudy View Post
    Yes, it's a Dell Mini 9, and I know that the card is installed correctly. The only wires are 2 antennae.

You're not saying the card might have died because of the wrong drivers, are you?

Wrong drivers can result in the hardware being screwed up by receiving in-compatible commands.

The only two wires are antennae? Okay, I work with laptops, and there are occasionally more than one contact point on the card. If you don't hook it up correctly, the card can get fried.

Further, understanding that it is a Dell means that its possible for me to figure out whether the intel card works with your model. I'll be back in a little bit.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

The only two wires are antennae? Okay, I work with laptops, and there are occasionally more than one contact point on the card. If you don't hook it up correctly, the card can get fried.
    Yes, that is true, but it's not the case here. Here's a picture of the card that I found if you'd like to see it - http://pixca.net/wp-content/uploads/.../pp1050774.jpg

It has 3 antenna hookups, but I only used 1 and 2 (I planned to put in a third later), which shouldn't have been a problem, right?

Any way, I put Windows XP on my mini today and the error I got back in the hardware properties was something to the effect of "The device could not be started," even after I manually loaded the correct drivers.

So TrekCaptainUSA, I believe that you were right all along, the card itself must be faulty.

The Broadcom will have to do for now, and I'm only down about $25 for the Intel Card...

Thank you all for your help. It was a great learning experience!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I'm going to be a bit evil and cut up your last post and respond to it in parts. MUAHAHAHAHAH!

Anyways...

It has 3 antenna hookups, but I only used 1 and 2 (I planned to put in a third later), which shouldn't have been a problem, right?
    Sometimes, even if there's 3 antenna hookups, or any number of contacts, you're only supposed to use 2 of them, and even then sometimes specific ones of the hookups. But this information is null and void in this case, as Windows was unable to access the device as well.

Any way, I put Windows XP on my mini today and the error I got back in the hardware properties was something to the effect of "The device could not be started," even after I manually loaded the correct drivers.
    So TrekCaptainUSA, I believe that you were right all along, the card itself must be faulty.
    Usually this is the case, especially when two operating systems can't access the card.

Thank you all for your help. It was a great learning experience!
    No problem. We're here to help you out, and to help you learn about Ubuntu and stuff. Feel free to stop back whenever with any questions you might have.

Beans

One Solution: Re: Will Not Recognize Intel Wireless 4965 on Karmic -Please Help

May this help someone:
    I had exactly the same symptoms, same story, but it turned out there was nothing broken at all.

My bios was set to turn off wlan when wired lan was available. So during most of the testing and cursing wlan did not work though I knew that once upon a time it had worked for a minute or so...
    Solution: PLUGGING OUT THE CABLE did the trick! Telling bios not to be so smart didn't help btw.

Network manager wicd can also be configured to use wire only, when possible. But in my case wicd didn't even see the card cause it was shut down somehow. Nevertheless it was visible in iwconfig and *sometimes* in ifconfig. In wicd the card disappears and reappears when the wire is disconnected/connected.
    Last edited by waliays; December 16th, 2009 at 06:23 PM. Reason: meaningful title

Beans

Very late to reply to this thread, but thought I would add I have just had *exactly* the same experience as you.

Upgraded a Mini 9, from the Dell Broadcom card that is fitted as standard, to an Intel 4965.

The wireless actually worked on the first and second boot. Perfectly - tested websites, downloads, etc.

Came back to the laptop 30 mins later, and the card didn't work. Long story short, I was getting the same EEPROM errors you were getting - no matter what I did, the card wouldn't work. After around 4 hours of various kernels, fixes, patches and updates, I gave up.

I have no idea what causes this, but as I'm using a very different version of Ubuntu to you (11.10), I can only assume the Dell Mini 9 does not like the Intel 4965 wireless card. I hope this serves as a warning to others!

I'm back to the old Broadcom card for now, and will attempt to upgrade to a Broadcom chipset 802.11n card instead when I have 'recovered' from this experience

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234