Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Will Not Recognize Intel Wireless 4965 on Karmic -Please Help

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Will Not Recognize Intel Wireless 4965 on Karmic -Please Help

No luck with the backports, but thanks anyway zaphod.

I'll try booting XP next and see if the card is even alive...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If the card is dead, you'll have to (depending on whether its a laptop or desktop) go to the manufacturer of the computer (if laptop) or some other tech person who will charge you (if a desktop).

*yawn* Well, back from a good nights rest, and I've been thinking: If the card is not dead then perhaps the Intel card is not compatible with Linux. I've noticed this with a few pieces of hardware, where the device doesn't know how to work with Linux, and you're stuck with it working only on Windows.
    Last edited by teward; December 2nd, 2009 at 05:08 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

If the card is not dead then perhaps the Intel card is not compatible with Linux. I've noticed this with a few pieces of hardware, where the device doesn't know how to work with Linux, and you're stuck with it working only on Windows.
    Thanks again, TrekCaptain, but there are two things which stand at odds with that in this case...

I decided to try booting from my live stick, and it worked! The card was recognized and performed beautifully. So, I decided to just go ahead and reinstall Ubuntu (just my "/" partition), and again, the card worked. After rebooting, the card was not seen again...
    So everything I've read tells me that the necessary drivers have been present since kernel 2.6.24.
    Doesn't that suggest that the card is somehow compatible?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Are you sure you have linux-firmware installed? It must install by default, but I'm not sure. You may need this in order to use the intel card.

dpkg -l | grep linux-firmware

This site suggests that the card has linux drivers. Intel has open sourced most of their drivers for linux.

http://intellinuxwireless.org/
    Last edited by pbrane; December 2nd, 2009 at 06:10 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

The possibility is also that as I stated a long time ago the card is truly dead. Or, you might try what the poster before me said, and make sure that linux-firmware is installed. Because booting off the stick, it already loads the firmware. Perhaps the linux-firmware wasn't transferred to your computer... have you tried it with the Live disc again to confirm it works?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I tried reinstalling the firmware and backports...no change

have you tried it with the Live disc again to confirm it works?
    Yes, that was the first thing I tried after reinstalling (when the card began showing "UNCLAIMED"), but it behaves just the same as booting from my ssd now. I just don't see how the card could go out on me like that after doing a simple reinstall...

One more thing I just noticed...

sudo modprobe -r iwl4965 && modprobe iwl4965
    Returns:
    Code:
    WARNING: Error inserting mac80211 (/lib/modules/2.6.31-15-generic/updates/cw/mac80211.ko): Operation not permitted
    WARNING: Error inserting led_class (/lib/modules/2.6.31-15-generic/kernel/drivers/leds/led-class.ko): Operation not permitted
    WARNING: Error inserting iwlcore (/lib/modules/2.6.31-15-generic/updates/cw/iwlcore.ko): Operation not permitted
    FATAL: Error inserting iwlagn (/lib/modules/2.6.31-15-generic/updates/cw/iwlagn.ko): Operation not permitted
    Does that mean anything? When I tried the two commands separately, they returned nothing.

And when I try:

sudo rmmod iwl4965

I get:
    Code:
    Module iwl4965 does not exist in /proc/modules
    Meaning the driver isn't even present?

I'm going to set up a dual boot with XP soon to make sure about the card...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Meaning the driver isn't even present?
    There is no iwl4965. Your card uses iwlagn. Please try again and let us know the result.
    Code:
    sudo rmmod -f iwlagn && sudo modprobe iwlagn
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

There is no iwl4965. Your card uses iwlagn. Please try again and let us know the result.
    Thanks, that is correct, but

Code:
    sudo rmmod -f iwlagn && sudo modprobe iwlagn
    made no change

The modinfo for iwlagn listed my card, but it's still unclaimed...

Any other suggestions? Still trying to work out installing XP via USB so I can see if the card is alive or not.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Got a question... is this a netbook?

If it is, netbook hardware is even more finicky/tempermental than normal laptop hardware. Just switching out the card(s) is enough to kill it. Also, on Dell computers and similar, if you don't hook up the connecting wires right, your card will go *BOOM* and die on you the moment you turn on your computer.

So it's possible that the installation of the card killed it because of incorrect installation. But since it worked with the Live USB boot, then i don't know. maybe because you were trying to load incorrect drivers?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Got a question... is this a netbook?
    Yes, it's a Dell Mini 9, and I know that the card is installed correctly. The only wires are 2 antennae.

maybe because you were trying to load incorrect drivers?
    You're not saying the card might have died because of the wrong drivers, are you?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast