Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Unable to mount USB, Not Authorized

Beans

Re: Unable to mount USB, Not Authorized

I have had issues with many similarities to those reported on this thread. In particular:

• I have a clean install of 10.04 LTS Server
    • I use an NVIDIA graphics card with the current proprietary driver
    • I have not been able to shut down from the menu (it takes me back to the login screen, where I also cannot shut down); I have found the command-line "sudo shutdown -h now" to work
    • I received the "not authorized" message attempting to mount an external USB drive, even after enabling "mount user-space file systems" in my user privileges as suggested above, and rebooting
    • However, I have not had any sound issues thus far

Following an earlier suggestion, I installed ntfs-config. It took me a few minutes to figure out that I then needed to go to System >> Preferences >> NTFS Configuration Tool and enable write access to my external drive. This seems to have solved that problem, though still no insight on the shutdown issue.

Quote Originally Posted by orangeworx View Post
    I'm having the same issues as you, though this is a fresh install w/ all updates. I can't mount anything USB - sticks and external drives alike. i got the log off problem as well... I end up logging back in and going command-line as you do...

Beans

after installing E1550 huwei 3g modem the problem started.
    i cant delete or modify the content of any pen drive.
    pls help me out.
    these are the steps i have followed:

gksu gedit /etc/udev/rules.d/15-huawei-e1550.rules

SUBSYSTEM=="usb",SYSFS{idProduct}=="1446",SYSFS{id Vendor}=="12d1",RUN+="/lib/udev/modem-modeswitch --vendor 0x12d1 --product 0x1446 --type option-zerocd

pls help me out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beans

today, probably after the update, I got the same problem- I cannot mount my Bookeen Reader. some other USB I didn't check

I tried almost all the solutions above, none of them worked

at the same time I noticed that my icon for the Keyboard layout change, on the panel, is also missing, and there is also no possibility to get it back...

any idea?

Beans

and yes

I have just noticed that actually there is a mess on the upper panel, and that I also cannot shut the computer down

somebody also had this problem with shutting it down...

Following an earlier suggestion, I installed ntfs-config. It took me a few minutes to figure out that I then needed to go to System >> Preferences >> NTFS Configuration Tool and enable write access to my external drive. This seems to have solved that problem, though still no insight on the shutdown issue.
    this hasn't solved any of my problems...
    Last edited by vratnica; September 23rd, 2010 at 09:54 AM.

Beans

now it mounted my Bookeen, but it won't recognize my dvd

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Got this problem last night. Just followed the procedure on accessing my user account and activated root. was able to mount my USB after logging into root. still need to check if I will be able to mount my usb without root. got this problem after installing the ubuntustudio desktop package. did not have problems mounting a USB in lubuntu before installing ubuntustudio.

Lubuntu seems to be problematic after making it a heavyweight system anyway.

Beans

I'm having the same problem:

Can't mount hard drive partitions or usb flash drive

"Not Authorized"

The last thing I did was play around with the Compiz update manager. I'm going to run a system update and see if that fixes anything. I'm fairly sure it was something that was a result of an update. If your reinstalling 10.04 you might want to use an older install before any recent updates and see if that works it might be easier to pinpoint where the bug is coming from.

Beans

Just did an update and restarted. At the boot screen I noticed that there were two instances of:

Ubuntu, Linux 2.6.32-25-generic
    Ubuntu, Linux 2.6.32-24-generic

I choice the 2nd one thinking it was an earlier version. It works, everything loads right and I'm able to mount everything.

Hope this helps guys! its an annoying bug for sure :S

Beans

Both instances in the boot menu work to mount drive.

Update solved my problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Previously to use a USB stick in a normal way, I've had to remove usbmount and go through a re-install of pmount. There was not a problem with mounting but to get over needing to be root to change the files on a USB stick.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1469499&page=2

It was working OK yesterday but today's updates in my case to 2.6.32-25-generic-pae (I've got 4Gb ram), meant that now my USB stick wouldn't mount properly. My PC wouldn't shut down properly either, it sent me back to the login window.

I followed advice in this thread about using ntfs-config but no effect.

sudo users-admin shows a root account not enabled but also this error message-

(users-admin:2278 ): Liboobs-WARNING **: There was an unknown error communicating asynchronously with the backends: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

I tried adding back usbmount then removed it.

Finally a re-install of pmount and a USB stick mounts normally and I've been able to add a file. I've not tested shut down yet.

Edit:Shut down was normal after last night's session. Normal too this morning, a USB stick mounts and I've access to the files

Edit 2nd October:USB stick doesn't mount again. Oh bother!
    Last edited by Handssolow; October 2nd, 2010 at 12:15 PM. Reason: updated information

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast