Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Upgrading to Windows 7; Dualboot Ubuntu Transition.

Beans

Re: Upgrading to Windows 7; Dualboot Ubuntu Transition.

I finally did it! After installing all of my essential apps in Win 7, I knocked off the fear of installing Ubuntu 9.04 inside it. And guess what? It works! The same! Identical!!

So here's what I've learned:

Ubuntu 9.04 CAN be installed safely inside Windows Vista (x86) and Windows 7 (x86), and that my "replacing root.disk" trick works! After i installed a 4GB chunk of Ubuntu inside Win7, I ran Ubuntu, then back to Win7, and replaced root.disk. And fortunately, it works!!

One thing that I have to bring up though, is that when I try to boot into Ubuntu (it's installed inside Win7 now), this message appears before get to the Ubuntu boot screen:

Try (hd0, 0): NTFS5: No wubildr

It brings me to that screen and lasts there for like 40 seconds. I have no idea what that means, nor do i care about the 40 second delay, but all i know is that Ubuntu is working perfectly. I have successfully migrated from WinVista to Win7 with Ubuntu tagged along! *applause*

Beans

Re: Upgrading to Windows 7; Dualboot Ubuntu Transition.

Hi knowndarkness,

A very easy option is to install Windows 7 as a Virtual Machine from within Linux, I attach a screenshot of this running on my own system.

Andrew
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by andrew.46; December 1st, 2009 at 08:32 AM.
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12