I made myself a guide to backing up Ubuntu installed INSIDE Windows Vista. My question is at the end of my post.
How to BACK UP Ubuntu (When it is installed INSIDE WINDOWS VISTA)
The file "root.disk" is essentially the entirety of Ubuntu when installed inside Windows. From Inside Windows, the file is (should be) located inside C://DRIVE/UBUNTU/BOOT/DISKS/root.disk
BACK UP INSTRUCTIONS
To back up the whole operating system (which is EXTREMELY EASY), we will just COPY that "root.disk" file into a safe place- ANY WHERE YOU WANT! KEEP IT SAFE!
1) From Inside WIndows, the file you want is located inside " C://DRIVE/UBUNTU/BOOT/DISKS/root.disk "
2) Copy "root.disk" into a place that you will keep safe; e.g. flashdrive/external hard drive/disk/ etc.
To restore, would be to be like "fixing" Ubuntu if something goes wrong. To do this, follow the steps below:
1) After you copied the backup (hopefully everything was when the OS still worked), you would navigate (IN WINDOWS OPERATING SYSTEM SIDE) to the Ubuntu folder. Which should be located inside C://DRIVE/UBUNTU/
2) Delete the UBUNTU folder.
3) Use the Ubuntu CD you used to install inside WIndows, and then install it inside Windows AGAIN. Make sure you use around 4 - 5 GB, so that it won't take long to make the new OS.
4) Restart and load into the NEW OS you just made
5) After logging into the new Ubuntu, restart AGAIN, and load into Windows again.
6) In Windows, navigate again into the UBUNTU directory. The files should be the new ones you just installed on.
7) Navigate to "C://DRIVE/UBUNTU/BOOT/DISK/root.disk" and REPLACE "root.disk" with your OLD "root.disk" file.
8) Finally, restart the computer and choose Ubuntu as the OS to load into.
9) Everything should work again.
My question is, will this work with Windows 7 Home Premium (x32)? I am wondering if that I wipe out my entire computer and clean install EVERYTHING with Win7HP, will Ubuntu 9.04/9.10 be able to install INSIDE Windows 7? And if it can, will I be able to do my technique again: replacing the root.disk file with my old one?
Ubuntu 9.04 CAN be installed safely inside Windows Vista (x86) and Windows 7 (x86), and that my "replacing root.disk" trick works! After i installed a 4GB chunk of Ubuntu inside Win7, I ran Ubuntu, then back to Win7, and replaced root.disk. It works! Everything stays the same!