Thread: Huawei E5832 in Ubuntu

Beans

Huawei E5832 in Ubuntu

Has anyone any experience using the Huawei E5832 wireless broadband modem with Ubuntu? The site says it needs to be initially setup via the USB and connection manager software installed. Obviously they only supply win and mac software. I have no problems finding and using my bigpond home network gateway 7.2 wireless modem so I'm hoping this one will work as smoothly. I'll be using Virgin isp. Anyone got any input?

Cheers,
    Alan.

Beans

Re: Huawei E5832 in Ubuntu

It just works. Plug it in and follow the on-screen instructions. It's much simpler than in Windows!

Beans

Actually, I've just realised... I might have it wrong. If nothing pops up, right-click the nm-applet (the network icon on the top right) and choose Edit Connections. Then go to the Mobile Broadband tab, and click New. Then follow the instructions. Either way, it's still really easy. Ask again here if you have any problems.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan_M View Post
    Actually, I've just realised... I might have it wrong. If nothing pops up, right-click the nm-applet (the network icon on the top right) and choose Edit Connections. Then go to the Mobile Broadband tab, and click New. Then follow the instructions. Either way, it's still really easy. Ask again here if you have any problems.
    Thanks very much for your reply, much the same as I did for my bigpond service, except I originally set it up under windoze with the supplied connection manager, then when I made the move to Ubuntu it was as simple as described. Ubuntu just "found" the modem and everything worked. My only worry is that the web site says I'll first need to use the USB and install some software to setup the username/ password etc for the Huawei and Virgin. I guess I'll see what happens when I get the modem.

Cheers,
    Alan.

Beans

My only worry is that the web site says I'll first need to use the USB and install some software to setup the username/ password etc for the Huawei and Virgin
    is that not likely to be if using windows? these modems carry software, but only for windows (or mac): they do not carry linux files