Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Basic Questions with KDE.

Beans

Re: Basic Questions with KDE.

Quote Originally Posted by Dullstar View Post
    Is this what you are thinking of? The article mentioned KDE once, but it was in a question towards readers. Linus, as far as we can tell from this article, said nothing about KDE here.
    That was one of them. I recognize that picture of the guy there. I read a total of 2 or 3 web sites that suggested that while Linus has bounced between KDE and Gnome before, that he has spoken out before and mentioned that KDE is his sweet spot.

Beans

Question Re: Basic Questions with KDE.

I have also made the switch to KDE a few days ago... KDE4 is now really shining in my PC, but since I'm a newcomer, I cannot find just one thing that I loved about Compiz/Beryl... Where is the Zoom? I mean, compiz (desktop effects in Ubuntu Gnome) made Win+Mouse Scroll Wheel zoom in. It was a really lovely feature, that I cannot find in Kubuntu (KWin). Any help here?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Nanday View Post
    I have also made the switch to KDE a few days ago... KDE4 is now really shining in my PC, but since I'm a newcomer, I cannot find just one thing that I loved about Compiz/Beryl... Where is the Zoom? I mean, compiz (desktop effects in Ubuntu Gnome) made Win+Mouse Scroll Wheel zoom in. It was a really lovely feature, that I cannot find in Kubuntu (KWin). Any help here?
    Wouldn't that be the Zoom effect in System Settings -> Desktop -> Desktop Effects -> All Effects? I don't have a mouse on this machine so I can't see if it will react to scrolling, but it works if I bind it to keys, at least.
    Last edited by Zorael; December 1st, 2009 at 12:37 AM. Reason: machien doth nae computae

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Nanday View Post
    Yeah, I hear you there. It was so confusing to go to KDE. But not because it was hard. Because it was too logical in the manner it was laid out. For example, it took me forever to understand what was happening when I was looking for a new theme. Oh wait, you mean KDE links you to KDE-Look.org right there within the themes window within the OS without having to go to the web site? Sounds like an easy concept, but it took me a couple minutes to figure out what was happening!

Glad you're enjoying it. I know I am. Cheers!

Beans

Question Re: Basic Questions with KDE.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorael View Post
    Wouldn't that be the Zoom effect in System Settings -> Desktop -> Desktop Effects -> All Effects? I don't have a mouse on this machien so I can't see if it will react to scrolling, but it works if I bind it to keys, at least.
    Yep, it is there, but I can't assign to the scroll wheel + win as I got used to... I don't know why, the scroll wheel works flawlessly, but when I try to reassign the default combination, it just don't "see" the scrolling. In fact, there are some combinations that it doesn't react to.

Beans

I have a workaround. It will map Super+mouse scroll to the default kde zoom in/out "meta+=/-"

first we need to install xautomation and xbindkeys
    Atl-F2
    Code:
    kpackagekit --install-package-name xautomation --install-package-name xbindkeys
    create/edit a file called ~/.xbindkeysrc
    this can be done with:

Alt+F2

Code:
    kate ~/.xbindkeysrc

Code:
    "xte 'keydown Super_R' 'key equal'"
       Mod4 + Super_L  + b:4

"xte 'keydown Super_R' 'key minus'"
       Mod4 + Super_L  + b:5

"xte 'keydown Super_R' 'key 0'"
       Mod4 + Super_L  + b:2
    that last block is optional it bind the middle button to zoom reset "meta+0".
    the b:# is the mouse number and it corresponds with xev output.

Start xbindkeys with the config we just made:
    Alt+F2

Code:
    xbindkeys
    now to make it start xbindkeys every time KDE starts we will create a static link to xbindkeys in the KDE Autostart folder in our home directory.

Alt+F2
    Code:
    ln -s /usr/bin/xbindkeys ~/.kde/Autostart/xbindkeys

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Talking Re: Basic Questions with KDE.

Quote Originally Posted by wipmonkey View Post
    I workaround. It will map Super+mouse scroll to the default kde zoom in/out "meta+=/-"
    Holy cow!!!! I have been so wanting to do this with KDE!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!
    A friendly & helpful Linux community who has started a large cursor theme project. If you are sick of tiny cursors, go here and get one.
    http://linuxinternationals.org/forum...orum.php?f=166

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123