Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Basic Questions with KDE.

Beans

Re: Basic Questions with KDE.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorael View Post
    He's gone back and forth, I think. He doesn't like the way GNOME wants to make things simple, and he detested KDE 4.0 which was inarguably in a pretty poor (and very alpha) state.

2. Appearance isn't there? That's alarming. I'd try reinstalling systemsettings.
    Code:
    $ sudo aptitude reinstall systemsettings
    3. System Settings -> Advanced tab -> Session Manager, check Offer shutdown options.
    Yeah, it doesn't seem to be any doubt there that KDE 4.0 was kind of a bust. But hey, at least they tried something new and have it pretty refined now with the later versions of KDE.

I'm curious to see what happens with Gnome Shell. They're rebuilding it a good ways - so they might have the same alpha style final release KDE 4.0 did. *shrug*

Beans

Virtualbox Error -

"Sorry - An Error Has Occured"

Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/packagekit/daemonBackend.py", line 109, in run threading.Thread.run(self) File "/usr/lib/python2.6/threading.py", line 477, in run self.__target(*self.__args, **self.__kwargs) File "/usr/lib/packagekit/aptDBUSBackend.py", line 168, in wrapper func(*args, **kwargs) File "/usr/lib/packagekit/aptDBUSBackend.py", line 1263, in doInstallFiles if not deb.checkDeb(): File "/usr/lib/packagekit/debfile.py", line 365, in checkDeb if not self.checkConflicts(): File "/usr/lib/packagekit/debfile.py", line 313, in checkConflicts if self._checkConflictsOrGroup(or_group): File "/usr/lib/packagekit/debfile.py", line 197, in _checkConflictsOrGroup if self.pkgName == pkg.name: AttributeError: 'DebPackage' object has no attribute 'pkgName'

Beans

Also - when I apply a theme to Kubuntu, it only applies to the panel. What's up with this? I want the theme to change EVERYTHING.

EDIT - I also can't seem to set Firefox as my default browser, even though I tried in the default applications section of system settings. When people send me links, Konq still opens. Nothing against Konq - but I want Firefox.
    Last edited by Roasted; November 25th, 2009 at 08:40 AM.

Beans

So I'm trying to find a good sound control icon for the panel. I have kmix but uh, that kind of sucks. In Gnome I liked being able to scroll over the icon and that would adjust the volume accordingly. Besides kmix is there any volume controllers out there worthwhile? Or am I perhaps doing something wrong with kmix?

And yes - I checked add-widgets already and didn't notice anything.

Beans

*Up*

Whenever I empty the recycle bin, I get an error that there's a file that doesn't exist in the trash can. The trash can is empty. It has nothing in it. That's good. But I get this error no matter how many times I empty it, saying this file does not exist. Whaaaaat?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Roasted View Post
    Virtualbox Error -

"Sorry - An Error Has Occured"

Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/packagekit/daemonBackend.py", line 109, in run threading.Thread.run(self) File "/usr/lib/python2.6/threading.py", line 477, in run self.__target(*self.__args, **self.__kwargs) File "/usr/lib/packagekit/aptDBUSBackend.py", line 168, in wrapper func(*args, **kwargs) File "/usr/lib/packagekit/aptDBUSBackend.py", line 1263, in doInstallFiles if not deb.checkDeb(): File "/usr/lib/packagekit/debfile.py", line 365, in checkDeb if not self.checkConflicts(): File "/usr/lib/packagekit/debfile.py", line 313, in checkConflicts if self._checkConflictsOrGroup(or_group): File "/usr/lib/packagekit/debfile.py", line 197, in _checkConflictsOrGroup if self.pkgName == pkg.name: AttributeError: 'DebPackage' object has no attribute 'pkgName'
    That sounds like a PackageKit bug. To the launchpad mobile!

How are you installing it? Via GDebiKDE? Perhaps it'll work if you do it from a command line.

Also - when I apply a theme to Kubuntu, it only applies to the panel. What's up with this? I want the theme to change EVERYTHING.

EDIT - I also can't seem to set Firefox as my default browser, even though I tried in the default applications section of system settings. When people send me links, Konq still opens. Nothing against Konq - but I want Firefox.
    Theming; the system settings module seems to be a tool to import and change themes. But when changing the theme via Desktop settings (right-click the desktop space), it properly themes not only my panel, but my analog clock, notify popups, etc. This is with Karmic's 4.3.3. (edit: FWIW, you can grab the kdeartwork package for the official theme bundle.)

As for Firefox; from what app are you opening the links? Depending on the level of KDE integration, they may not listen to KDE's settings but rather the x-www-browser alternative. Pidgin?
    Code:
    $ update-alternatives --config x-www-browser
    Perform it as sudo to make it a system-wide setting.

So I'm trying to find a good sound control icon for the panel. I have kmix but uh, that kind of sucks. In Gnome I liked being able to scroll over the icon and that would adjust the volume accordingly. Besides kmix is there any volume controllers out there worthwhile? Or am I perhaps doing something wrong with kmix?

And yes - I checked add-widgets already and didn't notice anything.
    I don't think any such exist; I just use the kmix tray icon and my volume up/down keys. It's a thought though, might be worthy of a brainstorm entry.

*Up*

Whenever I empty the recycle bin, I get an error that there's a file that doesn't exist in the trash can. The trash can is empty. It has nothing in it. That's good. But I get this error no matter how many times I empty it, saying this file does not exist. Whaaaaat?
    I'm not sure I understand. I'd try manually clearing the Trash directory and see if that helps.
    Code:
    $ rm -rf ~/.local/share/Trash/*
    Last edited by Zorael; November 27th, 2009 at 06:50 PM.

Beans

It must be a bug with KPackageKit or something, because I can install the package just fine with GDebi Package Installer. It's just KPackageKit was my default, so that's what I ran with and that's when I got the error.

Has anybody used KPackageKit to install a .deb package and have this error in Kubuntu 9.04 with KDE 4.3.2? In particular, has anybody done with with the VirtualBox deb from the web site?

EDIT - The above was explained to me in this thread. I figured I'd link it here for learning purposes in case anybody else digs up this thread with the same problem.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1338877

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I didn't fully switch over. I still actively use Ubuntu with Gnome. You see, my partitions are split from root and home. Originally my disk was:

20gb Root - Ubuntu
    380gb - Home

I downsized the 380 to 360 and left the remaining 20gb to Kubuntu, making my disk look like:

20gb Root - Ubuntu
    360gb Home
    20gb Root - Kubuntu

Both Kubuntu and Ubuntu point to the same home directory. So I ...
    I don't understand the separate Root systems. My main machine (Family use) is "Ubuntu" as installed with the Gnome login screen, but from there the system diverges. I use KDE primarily and my wife uses Gnome. At any login, I can choose Fluxbox, XFCE, Gnome, Blackbox or KDE depending on what I am going to do. With the separate root systems you are inviting trouble if you upgrade on one side to a new version of a software package that may use a new file format, and the other root system won't have the newer software. Not to mention password file trouble.

I favor KDE most of the time.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ac7ss View Post
    I don't understand the separate Root systems. My main machine (Family use) is "Ubuntu" as installed with the Gnome login screen, but from there the system diverges. I use KDE primarily and my wife uses Gnome. At any login, I can choose Fluxbox, XFCE, Gnome, Blackbox or KDE depending on what I am going to do. With the separate root systems you are inviting trouble if you upgrade on one side to a new version of a software package that may use a new file format, and the other root system won't have the newer software. Not to mention password file trouble.

I favor KDE most of the time.
    Honestly, I don't know why I use them like that either.

You see, I have a spare computer here I do a lot of testing and messing around with. I set up Ubuntu on it and installed KDE, and it backfired.

I didn't want to put my main system through that since I also have several services running on it that I like to keep running. Plus I wanted to start clean with a fresh install of Kubuntu to really see what people were talking about.

Later I found out my spare computer has some problems with the video card anyway, so I think some of my issues may have been related to that since I was having severe video issues.

Overall, I'm glad I did a fresh install of Kubuntu and tried it. I'm hooked on it now.

Gnome - I love you, but I'm stickin with KDE. I find there's a lot more features in the GUI level (despite the fact I'm a terminal junkie) and things are laid out in a manner I prefer. Good work!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Something kinda funny - I found an article somewhere with Linus Torvalds backing up KDE 100%. It was an interesting read...
    Is this what you are thinking of? The article mentioned KDE once, but it was in a question towards readers. Linus, as far as we can tell from this article, said nothing about KDE here.
    Spoiler: Highlight to read
    Congratulations, you have found the secret message! It contains absolutely nothing useful!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast