Thread: Does Intel actually manufacture it's motherboards?

Beans

Does Intel actually manufacture it's motherboards?

I have old hardware and have been researching new components to replace my current 5 year old P4 system. It's been a while since I've done this. I was looking at the Intel BOXDP55WG P55 motherboard and I heard a rumor that Intel may not be manufacturing their boards, and instead they may be contracted out and branded as Intel.

Does anyone have evidence if this is true, and if so, who actually makes Intel mobos?

Beans

Re: Does Intel actually manufacture it's motherboards?

Not sure I know Intel used to. Anyway there are better boards then Intel imho they are pretty average.

Beans

no Idea, but actually this is a very common practice in the PC industry, just as HP and many others, Hell apple, and their chinese/taiwanese factories. Those aren't actually owned by apple, just payed to make their products. Contractors

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jrusso2 View Post
    Not sure I know Intel used to. Anyway there are better boards then Intel imho they are pretty average.
    Better in what way? I don't plan on overclocking or using Crossfire/SLI. I'm also looking at the Asus P7P55D because it gets good customer reviews, tomshardware.com likes it, and has decent features, while my coworker likes the ASRock P55 Pro.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Intel manufactures the chipsets and their CPUs in factories in the US (there is one down the Route 28 in Virginia not far from my home) and Asia. They usually contract out the insertion of chipsets into motherboards manufactured to their design by contract manufacturers. They use mostly in China/Taiwan and some contract manufacturers in the US.
    Finding New Ways to Use Ubuntu to Simplify My Digital Life.
    Linux - The Platform for a New Digital Generation.

Beans

Asus, MSI, Intel all are pretty average and most of them made in China, also, if the warranty is less than 36 months don't buy it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by froggyswamp View Post
    Asus, MSI, Intel all are pretty average and most of them made in China, also, if the warranty is less than 36 months don't buy it.
    Asus, MSI, and Intel, (and Gigabyte but you didn't mention them) are all mid to high end component makers. How dare you call them pretty average. They all make high end products.

Beans

haha yes and Gigabyte, they're all pretty average, we're not in Cansas anymore and these companies don't "know" crucial things that others don't, an average company in China can produce the motherboards that you see in an average shop. It's (almost) all about who owns the license these days, not the knowledge. Look at the license wars around, both in hw and software. Your "worshiping" about these companies is overrated. They're not the kings of knowledge but the kings of lots of money, licenses and patents. And they sometimes stifle innovation too, in case you didn't know.