Thread: My experience with karmic

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

My experience with karmic

Hi

So i decided to share my experience with karmic and try get some input to sort some issues out. After a fast installation on my netbook and even faster boot i was happy that things were going smooth! From fresh start i didnt have a single problem, wireless worked, FN keys worked, mouse pad plus features worked. Compiz ran flawlessly and no complaints. XP was half out the door

After about two days with ubuntu 9.10, i then started to see the other side ! im not sure if it all started to go pear shaped after the update or what....but im not too fond of these bugs!

Firstly, when streaming youtube i get flashes on the screen...after some time my netbook starts to noticebly heat up! the browser (chromium) then starts to act all dodgey.

I decided to try configure a theme and Emerald theme manager doesnt fit on the screen and the window cant be resized either....no comment
    same goes for compiz...and on top of that ive disabled (like a muppet) the visual effects, no they cannot be applied, dont know why.

Eee control doesnt seem to work so my netbook has lost a good 3 hours of battery like that would of been squeezed by the underclocking option offered by asus.

Im not too happy with all these problems but overall i am impressed with the newer version and will stick by till these minor problems are dealt with.

any fixes to these problems, please let me know

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: My experience with karmic

You should degrade to 9.04 because 9.10 is currently not stable for netbooks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Actually, degrade and then upgrade using update manager. During the upgrade don't delete old packages. Then, it should work with the beauty of karmic koala and the stability of jaunty jackalope.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

dublicate
    Last edited by tuxeee; November 24th, 2009 at 01:01 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

The whole point of going with this distro was cause of the improved features, such as the startup speed, slim OS that can be handled by netbook specs.

Im going to try NBR 9.10 and see if i come across the same issues...which i probably will. Might give 9.04 a go then.

Beans

You don't say which Eee you are using, so it's difficut to comment. 9.10 woks perfectly on my 900 and has done since alpha 6 without fail.

Now, the Chromium browser isn't finished, so don't expect it to work perfectly. Compiz, as nice as it is, doesn't perform well on these (somewhat underpowered) netbooks and running compiz and streaming Flash video at the same time is a bit of a no-go. Personally, I always remove Compiz, but that's not for everyone.
    A common thing, windows not fitting properly. Hold the Alt key and drag the window to see what's off the screen.
    And the Eee Control website doesn't mention a package for Karmic, so it's unfair to expect it to work.
    EeePC 701 - Ubuntu 10.04 | | HP DV6 - Linux Mint 13 MATE Edition
    My Eee Blog

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Running a 1005ha, that does actually manage to run compiz fine. Even with compiz off however the streaming video still has a funny flashing every now and again.

nice one barrie! the ALT works like a charm

even though i'd imagine that every window could be resized since i dont understand why it has to be fixed length but width can vary :s

There are afew websites stating that the eee-control works fine with karmic, so im not sure why it doesnt on mine. Do you think with eeebuntu it will work without trouble?

Beans

Oooh, that's a difficult one for me to answer.
    The Eeebuntu team are currently working on the new Eeebuntu which will have a new name and will be based on Debian Unstable. I would strongly recommend waiting until the new release (late Dec.).
    Read here: http://forum.eeebuntu.org/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=4492

The 1005ha seems to be problematic with the current release, although there are workarounds which work well if you don't mind a bit of fiddling with the command line and replacing the kernel and stuff.
    Read here: http://forum.eeebuntu.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3866

The Eee-control issue is best read up on starting here: http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=43975&p=30
    Good luck with it.

The intermittent flashing on streaming Flash isn't something I've come across and I would put it down to either Compiz or dodgy videos as my brother (1005ha + Karmic) doesn't have this problem (he doesn't have Compiz either).

So, I'm avoiding Jaunty, EasyPeasy (built on 9.04) and Eeebuntu 3.1 (also built on 9.04) and looking forward to Eeebuntu 4.0, Mint 8 (I'm running RC1 from SDHC) and Lucid Lynx.
    I will start using Eeebuntu again when the new release arrives. For now, I am more than happy with my Karmic install.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
    EeePC 701 - Ubuntu 10.04 | | HP DV6 - Linux Mint 13 MATE Edition
    My Eee Blog

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

thanks for the replies

cant wait for debian then since that seems to be the fix of some of the problems im facing.

ive also read that eeebuntu doesnt come with half the stuff that the desktop karmic comes with (preinstalled i mean) which is a good option.

do you know if eeecontrol works on eeebuntu then?

also what version of eeebuntu did you say its based? 9.04?