Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown - block

Beans

Re: Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown - block

Quote Originally Posted by obroyz View Post
    Hi everyone,

I'm absolutely new to Linux, leave aside Ubuntu. Having installed Ubuntu Karmic Koala just a few days ago, using Wubi, I have been extremely impressed with this O/S.

Getting to the point, I ran into this problem yesterday and I really couldn't understand a word everyone was saying about fixing this issue. My kernel had been updated to 2.6.31-15 and last morning, my machine wouldn't boot.

I noticed that I was able to boot into 2.6.31-14, so I worked on it for a while, trying to find a 'simple' solution before I went on learning all the technical stuff.

Anyhow, the fix:

1) Go to System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager
    2) Put in a search for linux-image
    3) Locate the package "linux-image-2.6.31-15-generic"
    4) Select the check-box next to this package and choose "Mark for Reinstallation"
    5) Apply this changes
    6) Reboot your machine

(For me) problem solved.

I hope it works for all of you as well.

Thanks,

J.
    This did it for me as well, thanks a lot. I got the kernel panic message when booting into 2.6.31-20-generic, but was able to boot with 2.6.31-14-generic. From there, I could reinstall the linux-image for 2.6.31-20-generic and that solved the problem.

Beans

Re: Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown - block

I felt disappointed at the support and i got for the ubuntu . I updated my system last night and in the morning when i restarted my comp it showed kernel panic error. This is not the first time its happening to me. Last time when i upgraded it stuck at the (grub) prompt at start up. I tried to mount kernel manully but all was in vain. If the kernel updates are not stable y the hell they r provided in the list. All are not advance user that they can work around the problem easily. I lost my 3 months project bcoz of ubuntu and lack of support . Thank You team ubuntu ... for your horrible problem solving blog..

Beans

Angry Re: Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown - block

well i'm quiet frustrated too as i have had the same problem twice in two days..first time i just reinstalled ubuntu...but i also have to install like a million packages on karmic before i can do my work with a fresh installation..just came across this thread..havnt tried any of the solution but if any of this doesn't work i'm dead..the project's due very soon

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Arrow Re: Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown - block

Your kernel does not support the RAID configuration, or have the driver for it in-built. Until the latest Ubuntu kernel comes with support for your config, you will need to get the drivers (from the manufacturer's website) and install it as a loadable kernel module (insmod). Then alone the kernel will "see" the drive.

I remember doing this because "2.6.35-22-server" did not have support for 3ware 9750 RAID controller in my machine. The only disadvantage is that you have to be careful not to do a direct kernel upgrade through aptitude.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234