Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown - block

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown - block

[solved] Ubuntu freeze on splash screen at boot-up.
    Since my last post,this has been resolved by disconnecting a second monitor connected to the system. Maybe need to reconfigure nvidia screens after ubuntu upgrade.

Beans

Hi again all,

I received by new Alienware M15x yesterday and the first thing I did on it was to install Ubuntu Desktop. Straight after, I ran the upgrade, which, in turn, upgraded my kernel to .....16.

Things were fine upon reboot. The next thing I did was to upgrade device drivers. I received an option to upgrade my graphics card driver. One was 173 and the other one was 186 (recommended). I went along with the recommended one.

After another reboot, I got stuck at the splash screen. I don't know how to use the recovery mode, so I logged in with the old kernel, i.e. ....14. There were slight issues bringing the desktop up and then I received a message that there were problems with my graphics card drivers and I needed to reset them.

I just chose a new profile for the drivers, rebooted and everything was fine. The system chose driver 173.

I hope this helps.

Thanks again,

J.

Beans

Hi all...
    Sorry for my English, but I'm French, it's explain...
    I have the same problem... But, no other windows OS...
    I have upgrade my ubuntu jaunty to karmic...
    Start with kernel panic before starting splash screen...
    I use liveDVD for installing directly karmic...
    After upgrade to 2.6.31-16 generic and the same problem come on startup...
    Freezing using USB or applications needs some HD access...
    In fact, I think it's maybe to floppy mount on my desktop computer (It doesn't have it...).
    But after reading this, I think problem come with lock xorg.conf... kernel can't access sometimes...
    Correct access seems solve problem...
    Very sorry for my English...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jesamjasam View Post
    I installed Ubuntu 9.10 using wubi on my WindowsXP machine. It worked just fine until today. Now i have the same problem you all have. Here's a printout:
    Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(8,1)

Now my project is locked in ubuntu and i can't reach it
    Lesson learned: Wubi is nothing but a toy OS. Don't rely on it. Sad, but apparently true, judging from the lack of help

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by obroyz View Post
    Hi everyone,

I'm absolutely new to Linux, leave aside Ubuntu. Having installed Ubuntu Karmic Koala just a few days ago, using Wubi, I have been extremely impressed with this O/S.

Getting to the point, I ran into this problem yesterday and I really couldn't understand a word everyone was saying about fixing this issue. My kernel had been updated to 2.6.31-15 and last morning, my machine wouldn't boot.

I noticed that I was able to boot into 2.6.31-14, so I worked on it for a while, trying to find a 'simple' solution before I went on learning all the technical stuff.

Anyhow, the fix:

1) Go to System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager
    2) Put in a search for linux-image
    3) Locate the package "linux-image-2.6.31-15-generic"
    4) Select the check-box next to this package and choose "Mark for Reinstallation"
    5) Apply this changes
    6) Reboot your machine

(For me) problem solved.

I hope it works for all of you as well.

Thanks,

J.
    thx but didn't work for me for linux-image-2.6.31-16-generic, I just get dumped into grub prompt, and even after running sudo update-grub2, linux-image-2.6.31-16-generic still generates kernel panic.

anyone make any progress with this?

Beans

here is the bug that is causing your troubles: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...04/comments/24

The post i point you to shows how to get it to boot if you are stuck on the grub prompt.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by maddentim View Post
    here is the bug that is causing your troubles: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...04/comments/24

The post i point you to shows how to get it to boot if you are stuck on the grub prompt.
    Sadly that's still not clearing up the issue. All seems well until the boot, which starts and then crashes on
    Code:
    ALERT! /host/ubuntu/disks/root.disk does not exist. Dropping to shell!
    From there, I remain stuck. I'm on a netbook, so I can't use an install CD.

If I just reinstall from my windows half (which still boots with no issue), I'll loose all my files, won't I?

Beans

I had a similar error and found it was being caused by command:
    linux /boot/vml... root=/dev/sda1 loop=/ubuntu/disks/root.disk ro

The /dev/sda1 part is pointing root at the partition on the hard drive where your ubuntu disk file is located. In my case the hard drive had been setup with two partitions by the equipment supplier (some create a small partition for rescue work I believe). Apparently Windows 7 does something similar.

So I needed to use root=/dev/sda2 to point to the correct partition. Once I did that I booted without problem. I then did 'sudo update-grub' at my terminal prompt and then I was able to boot from the grub menu.

Hope this helps.

Beans

Lightbulb Re: Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown - block

Hi All,

This keeps on occurring every time there is a kernel update. I have tried the suggestions on this thread and on the Bug #477104. Unfortunately it did not work for me.

Anyway, I hope the steps below could help you some how.

I have followed the step to re-install the kernel and that totally trash the boot up. After searching on the web, I found an article on how to mount a WUBI disk which I did differently

I move the root.disk and swap.disk to a different folder. I then uninstalled and reinstalled WUBI. After I was able to boot to the desktop I executed the following commands.

sudo mkdir -p /media/root.disk
    sudo mount -o loop /media/WindowsXP/ubuntu/disks/root.disk /media/root.disk

My initial plan is to backup my firefox bookmarks and thunderbird emails. And sure enough the disk was mounted as another hard drive. That gave me an idea and what I did next is to reboot WUBI. At the grub boot menu I press 'e' for edit. I edited the line

linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-19-generic root=/dev/sda1 loop=/ubuntu/disks/
    root.disk ro vga=792 quiet splash

to

linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-19-generic root=/dev/sda1 loop=/disks/
    root.disk ro vga=792 quiet splash

then ctrl-x, it booted normally.

The only thing left is to make it permanent. Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

The problem is caused by a bug in Grub2 and can be fixed fairly easily

http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawik...lems:Wubi_9.10

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast