Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: (solved)HOWTO: FIxing crackling/scratching/poping noise on HDA ausio cards 9.10

Beans

Thumbs up (solved)HOWTO: FIxing SOUND for HDA card on Ubuntu 9.10

hello there guys i found out how to fix the crackling noise you get with pulse audio on HDA cards its not that hard really. all you have to do is disable/ remove the new power-save option in the new audio drivers. here is what to do:

open the terminal and type:

Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
    then type your password

and then the last two lines where you see power-save option, just delete it. and save it.

Code:
    Power down HDA controllers after 10 idle seconds
    options snd-hda-intel power_save=10 power_save_controller=N
    IF THAT DOES NOT WORK TRY MY NEW SOLUTION HERE: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...64#post8789064

I hope i helped someone out there with my post please comment back and let me know if it works for you.
    this was tested on HP dv6636nr laptop with HDA NVIDIA card.
    Last edited by linuxgeek77; March 7th, 2010 at 07:03 PM.

Beans

Re: (solved)HOWTO: FIxing crackling/scratching/poping noise on HDA ausio cards 9.10

AUDIO CARDS sorry

you need to reboot after you do that. thank you.
    Last edited by linuxgeek77; November 23rd, 2009 at 10:10 AM.

Beans

Re: (solved)HOWTO: FIxing crackling/scratching/poping noise on HDA ausio cards 9.10

Worked thanks!

But, I have a laptop and the white noise generated (you gotta listen closely) if I turn off the "power saving mode" would take up some battery...so I guess I gotta live with the crackling.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by reddox View Post
    Worked thanks!

But, I have a laptop and the white noise generated (you gotta listen closely) if I turn off the "power saving mode" would take up some battery...so I guess I gotta live with the crackling.
    Nope its not going to hurt your power. this feature was just aded in ubuntu 9.10, and my battery life is still giving me 3 hours of use. at least now when i boot up i dont hear crackles and noises that annoy me. it wont kill your power. i have tested it with and without power saving. for the whote noise ur experiencing try updating your alsa drivers to the newest version. i dont have a link on me. but you can go to alsa's website check out whats teh latest versions. and go to google and type "ubuntu ALSA driver updating" and follow teh steps.

: i found a link for you to follow. its to help compile teh lastest alsa drivers. 1.0.21a here you go.
    http://www.webupd8.org/2009/08/how-t...on-ubuntu.html

note: adjust the file names on Wget according to teh latest alsa drivers you find on teh site.
    Last edited by linuxgeek77; December 7th, 2009 at 08:12 PM.

Beans

Nice it worked, thank you and for anyone else that has this problem follow the instructions, now makes my games run a whole lot smoother.

Beans

Thanks, it's worknig. I couldn't stand that noise, it felt as someone was sticking needles into my speakers.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 4zdenek View Post
    Thanks, it's worknig. I couldn't stand that noise, it felt as someone was sticking needles into my speakers.
    your welcomed i'm glad it works for you now

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Xodiac13 View Post
    Nice it worked, thank you and for anyone else that has this problem follow the instructions, now makes my games run a whole lot smoother.
    thx for posting. im glad it helped you

Beans

Question Re: (solved)HOWTO: FIxing crackling/scratching/poping noise on HDA ausio cards 9.10

Where is the power save option?

Here is my alsa-base.conf content:

Code:
    # autoloader aliases
    install sound-slot-0 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-0
    install sound-slot-1 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-1
    install sound-slot-2 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-2
    install sound-slot-3 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-3
    install sound-slot-4 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-4
    install sound-slot-5 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-5
    install sound-slot-6 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-6
    install sound-slot-7 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-7

# Cause optional modules to be loaded above generic modules
    install snd /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-ioctl32 ; /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-seq ; }
    #
    # Workaround at bug #499695 (reverted in Ubuntu see LP #319505)
    install snd-pcm /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-pcm $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-pcm-oss ; : ; }
    install snd-mixer /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-mixer $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-mixer-oss ; : ; }
    install snd-seq /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-seq $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-seq-midi ; /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-seq-oss ; : ; }
    #
    install snd-rawmidi /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-rawmidi $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-seq-midi ; : ; }
    # Cause optional modules to be loaded above sound card driver modules
    install snd-emu10k1 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-emu10k1 $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-emu10k1-synth ; }
    install snd-via82xx /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-via82xx $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-seq ; }

# Load saa7134-alsa instead of saa7134 (which gets dragged in by it anyway)
    install saa7134 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install saa7134 $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist saa7134-alsa ; : ; }
    # Prevent abnormal drivers from grabbing index 0
    options bt87x index=-2
    options cx88_alsa index=-2
    options saa7134-alsa index=-2
    options snd-atiixp-modem index=-2
    options snd-intel8x0m index=-2
    options snd-via82xx-modem index=-2
    options snd-usb-audio index=-2
    options snd-usb-us122l index=-2
    options snd-usb-usx2y index=-2
    options snd-usb-caiaq index=-2
    # Ubuntu #62691, enable MPU for snd-cmipci
    options snd-cmipci mpu_port=0x330 fm_port=0x388
    # Keep snd-pcsp from beeing loaded as first soundcard
    options snd-pcsp index=-2
    The Ubuntu Counter Project - user number #14600

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Brilliant, so far so good.

Thankyou for the words of wisdom
    Smile . . there's always tomorrow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast