Thread: 3 8.04's, 1 Printer Share setup

Beans

3 8.04's, 1 Printer Share setup

Hello, I am trying to setup a printer share, and was wondering if avahi daemon, and samba needs to be running, and what else may need to be setup? I am not even sure if my computers can see each other. Thanks.

Beans

Smile Re: 3 8.04's, 1 Printer Share setup

[Solved] Well I discovered that avahi-daemon needs to be running but not samba unless your using Windows station printer.You need cups installed and running. then type http://localhost:631/ in the address bar of your browser, then click admin and "share published printers connected to this system".
    On the remote machine do the same, but click "find printers" add this printer, (should list the correct printer), then giveit a custom name, select make,model, add printer, username, and passwrd.
    If a firewall is installed on the printer workstation, then you must make a rule to allow a remote print job. Write down IP address of remote machine, open the advanced tab on GUFW on printered workstation and then allow TCP from remote IP address (port 631) to IP address of computer with printer.press Add. Done. Works like a charm.