Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lemur UltraThin - Underpowered? Low memory?

Beans

Lemur UltraThin - Underpowered? Low memory?

I've been drooling over a S76 Lemur UltraThin for a while now, as my 8 year old Compaq Presario 900 is really showing it's age. The optical drive kicked the bucket a few years back, I've closed the lid on a mouse cord and damaged the LCD, no integrated wifi and the PCMCIA card slot is becoming flaky.

I am planning on buying the Lemur as of now, but need a several questions answered first.

1. [ANSWERED] Is the Core 2 Duo SU7300 1.3Ghz sufficient? Can you play 1080p YouTube videos on it smoothly, assuming you wait for it to buffer? The same for Hulu at 480p? What can't it do? - No 1080p, streaming or otherwise, but YouTube HD and Hulu 480p works. DVD-quality (720p) in h264 works as well.
    2. [ANSWERED] Is the CPU soldered in? - Yes.
    3. [ANSWERED] Is there only one DIMM slot on the machine? Is the memory upgradeable, or soldered in? - One, user upgradeable DDR3 slot.
    4. [ANSWERED] Is it possible to disassemble the laptop for cleaning? It doesn't need to be easy, and ribbon cables aren't a problem, but I do like to do it ever few months. - A few panels on the bottom that allow for blowing dust out, but total disassembly will void warranty.
    5. [ANSWERED] How long does the battery last? I would assume the LED screen would help increase battery life significantly. - No scientific testing done, but appears to be ~4-5 hours.
    6. [ANSWERED] Is the hard drive user upgradeable? I want to be able to upgrade it to an SSD next August when the prices become reasonable. - Absolutely yes.
    7. What voltage DC does the machine run on? And if it's 12V, is it REALLY 12V or is it like a car battery where it says 12V but is really 13.8V?
    8. Is the battery user-replaceable? Will you stock replacement batteries in the future, to replace those that've worn out?
    9. [ANSWERED] Does it get hot? What I mean by this is does it make your legs warm enough to make it uncomfortable on a hot summer day? - Not too bad, though would probably be uncomfortable in the sun on a summer day.
    10. [ANSWERED] Is it noisy? Are the fans loud? A dB rating would be nice... - Not particularly - the HDD is the loudest of everything.
    11. [ANSWERED] Will a third party USB optical drive work as a boot device? - Yes.
    12. [ANSWERED] How long does it take to boot? - Roughly thirty seconds.
    13. [ANSWERED] Once booted, are all the menus instantly responsive, somewhat delayed, or painfully slow? - Not lightning fast, but responsive enough.
    14. [ANSWERED] How much is shipping to 20637, assuming the bag was not purchased? - $15.66 as of Tues November 24, 2009 @ 5:48PM

If you only know the answer to some of the questions, please please post them instead of waiting to get all of them to post. Also, if you aren't absolutely sure of the answer your giving, please say so.

Thanks,
    Ian

NOTE - If you have anything you can contribute, please do so even if a question is marked answered!
    Last edited by Ian505; November 24th, 2009 at 11:50 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Lemur UltraThin - Underpowered? Low memory?

1. It doesn't seem to work with the youtube 1080p quality videos but if flash provides gpu accelerated h264 decoding for linux at some point then it should work. Hulu 480p works and youtube HD works. I am able to play 720p h264 mkv files on it easily, although not 1080p.
    2. Not sure if it's soldered in but you could only replace it with another 10 watt TDP processor which would limit your upgrade options to 1.4 or 1.6 ghz at best.
    3. Yes, there's just one slot and from what Tom said it seems to be user upgradable.
    4. I don't know for sure but I can't imagine being unable to open a laptop.
    5. Battery life seems to be about 4-5 hours but I haven't fully tested that. I also didn't make any effort to boost battery life beyond default ubuntu settings (powertop etc.)
    6. The hard drive should be easily replaceable (haven't tested though.)
    7. Tom did indicate they would be user replaceable and spares would be available at some point in the future. Larger sizes are probably not going to be available although it looked like they had bigger sizes in the manual.
    8. No idea.
    9. It's not bad. I suspect it would warm up somewhat but not unbearably in the summer, unless you were in direct sunlight.
    10. I have the 7200 rpm drive and I can definitely hear it running unless I have music or a video on. If I had a 5400 rpm or an SSD I don't think this would be an issue. It's not obnoxiously loud though.
    11. Yes, I did test this and it works fine.
    12. It seemed like about 30 seconds.
    13. Reasonably responsive. Not the instant response you get from SSDs but they come up within a few seconds.
    14. Shipping to Illinois cost $15.57. State tax is collected but not county/city taxes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

2. Is the CPU soldered in?
    Yes.

4. Is it possible to disassemble the laptop for cleaning? It doesn't need to be easy, and ribbon cables aren't a problem, but I do like to do it ever few months.
    There are a couple of panels on the bottom you can remove to blow the dust out. As far as dismantling the entire machine, that probably would void your warranty.

6. Is the hard drive user upgradeable? I want to be able to upgrade it to an SSD next August when the prices become reasonable.
    Yes.

9. Does it get hot? What I mean by this is does it make your legs warm enough to make it uncomfortable on a hot summer day?
    It doesn't seem hot to me. But that's always a tough one to quantify, and the folks that ask it are usually more aware of heat than I am. I'll let users chime in on it.

14. How much is shipping to 20637, assuming the bag was not purchased?
    Click the "Add to Cart" button, and there will be a shipping calculator at the bottom of the page.
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans

Thank you very much for the replies. I greatly appreciate them. I have only one question...

...jjacobs2 - Can you rephrase response to your number 7? I can't seem to make sense of it...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Sorry, 7 and 8 are swapped. I was talking about the battery.

Beans

Is there a higher resolution version of this image?

http://system76.com/images/lemu1_open_large.jpg

Beans

Question Re: Lemur UltraThin - Underpowered? Low memory?

jjacobs2,

Can you divulge who the manufacturer of the HDD is? I would like to compare the manufacturer specs in order to help decide between the 5400 and 7200 RPM drive. (Although, I'm not sure whether to believe manufacturer(s) who claim that their 7200 RPM drives draw the same amount of power as their 5400 RPM drives.)

Have you observed any differences (performance, heat, battery life) between drives with the two different rotational speeds? Do you have any recommendation?

Also, I notice that there is a price drop of $30 on the Lemur. Is that temporary?

So many questions...

Beans

Oh, it looks like the price drops are for a Thanksgiving sale, so I guess it is temporary.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

No. But there are some different angles here...
    http://system76.com/product_info.php...products_id=97

Code:
    Can you divulge who the manufacturer of the HDD is?
    I *would* but it's difficult to say, as we often change brands to give customers the best bang for the buck. Probably Hitachi right now.

Have you observed any differences (performance, heat, battery life) between drives with the two different rotational speeds? Do you have any recommendation?
    TA: 7200 RPM drives use more battery than 5400. If you are not doing heavy read-write operations, you may not notice a big difference except for boot time and opening applications.

Also, I notice that there is a price drop of $30 on the Lemur. Is that temporary?
    Black Friday Sale.
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans

Tom: Honestly, how does the build quality of the Lemur feel? Can you compare it to the Daru2?

Thanks for answering these questions, they are really helping me decide on buying the Lemur this Friday
    Michigan LoCo Team: Wiki Page / Forum / #ubuntu-us-mi on irc.freenode.net

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast