I've been drooling over a S76 Lemur UltraThin for a while now, as my 8 year old Compaq Presario 900 is really showing it's age. The optical drive kicked the bucket a few years back, I've closed the lid on a mouse cord and damaged the LCD, no integrated wifi and the PCMCIA card slot is becoming flaky.
I am planning on buying the Lemur as of now, but need a several questions answered first.
1. [ANSWERED] Is the Core 2 Duo SU7300 1.3Ghz sufficient? Can you play 1080p YouTube videos on it smoothly, assuming you wait for it to buffer? The same for Hulu at 480p? What can't it do? - No 1080p, streaming or otherwise, but YouTube HD and Hulu 480p works. DVD-quality (720p) in h264 works as well.
2. [ANSWERED] Is the CPU soldered in? - Yes.
3. [ANSWERED] Is there only one DIMM slot on the machine? Is the memory upgradeable, or soldered in? - One, user upgradeable DDR3 slot.
4. [ANSWERED] Is it possible to disassemble the laptop for cleaning? It doesn't need to be easy, and ribbon cables aren't a problem, but I do like to do it ever few months. - A few panels on the bottom that allow for blowing dust out, but total disassembly will void warranty.
5. [ANSWERED] How long does the battery last? I would assume the LED screen would help increase battery life significantly. - No scientific testing done, but appears to be ~4-5 hours.
6. [ANSWERED] Is the hard drive user upgradeable? I want to be able to upgrade it to an SSD next August when the prices become reasonable. - Absolutely yes.
7. What voltage DC does the machine run on? And if it's 12V, is it REALLY 12V or is it like a car battery where it says 12V but is really 13.8V?
8. Is the battery user-replaceable? Will you stock replacement batteries in the future, to replace those that've worn out?
9. [ANSWERED] Does it get hot? What I mean by this is does it make your legs warm enough to make it uncomfortable on a hot summer day? - Not too bad, though would probably be uncomfortable in the sun on a summer day.
10. [ANSWERED] Is it noisy? Are the fans loud? A dB rating would be nice... - Not particularly - the HDD is the loudest of everything.
11. [ANSWERED] Will a third party USB optical drive work as a boot device? - Yes.
12. [ANSWERED] How long does it take to boot? - Roughly thirty seconds.
13. [ANSWERED] Once booted, are all the menus instantly responsive, somewhat delayed, or painfully slow? - Not lightning fast, but responsive enough.
14. [ANSWERED] How much is shipping to 20637, assuming the bag was not purchased? - $15.66 as of Tues November 24, 2009 @ 5:48PM
If you only know the answer to some of the questions, please please post them instead of waiting to get all of them to post. Also, if you aren't absolutely sure of the answer your giving, please say so.
NOTE - If you have anything you can contribute, please do so even if a question is marked answered!