Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: b43-fwcutter broke rfkill on 9.10

Beans

Re: b43-fwcutter broke rfkill on 9.10

I have a similar problem under Arch Linux since I upgraded to kernel 2.6.31.

My WLAN chip is:
    Code:
    # lspci -nn | grep "Wireless"
    02:03.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller [14e4:4320] (rev 03)
    Since I didn't used the b43-fwcutter after installing the new kernel, I don't think that the fwcutter is the culprit here.

I used to have a working WLAN button, but when I now (after the kernel upgrade) use this button, the WLAN is turned off, but cannot be turned on anymore.

I managed to get it working again by reloading the b43 module using rmmod and modprobe:

Code:
    # rfkill list
    0: phy0: Wireless LAN
    	Soft blocked: no
    	Hard blocked: no

** deactivated WLAN via button (WLAN LED is off now)

# rfkill list
    	Soft blocked: yes
    	Hard blocked: yes

** activated WLAN via button (WLAN LED is on again)

# rfkill list
    	Hard blocked: yes

** WLAN doesn't work anymore

# rmmod b43 && modprobe b43

# rfkill list
    1: phy1: Wireless LAN

** WLAN is working again
    Maybe the "rmmod b43 && modprobe b43" works in your case too.

Beans

I have exactly the same problem on a laptop hp zv5112 with Broadcom 4303 built in card. The log looks exactly the same as originally posted except that I don't have b43 module I only have b43legacy and I think it is correct. The wireless is off and can do anything to start it. I also have an wireless on/off dedicated button that doesn't work at all now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

May we please see:
    Code:
    lsmod | grep b43
    Thanks.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

Acer Aspire 9410z Ubuntu 9.10 kernel 2.6.31.17-generic
    Wi-lan button permanently on. No longer functional.
    Wi-lan on/off was working perfectly circa Ubuntu 8.10

$ rfkill list
    0: acer-wireless: Wireless LAN
    1: phy0: Wireless LAN

$ lsmod | grep b43
    b43 122168 0
    mac80211 181140 1 b43
    cfg80211 93052 2 b43,mac80211
    led_class 4096 3 b43,sdhci,acer_wmi
    ssb 35364 1 b43

Beans

did it just recently die? after the -17 kernel upgrade?
    my broadcom completely quit loading ;see http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1317801&page=3

Beans

It was working (RFKill switch) in 9.04 and then abruptly stopped working at the first kernel of 9.10 whatever that was. In fact the controllability was getting really good in 9.04. Right out of the box in 9.04 I was able to turn off Wifi with the hardware button at the login prompt - that was not possible in 8.10.

Do keep in mind that, in my example, Wifi always worked and still works in -17. I am merely disappointed that full hardware support was somehow perfectly acheived and now is degrading for whatever reasons.

Beans

ok my wifi went done just like you guys. I didn't get any response back from rfkill so whether this will fix the problem i'm not sure but what have you got to lose? Certainty not the internet. What I did what install bcm-kernel-source from Synaptic. That got the wireless card to show up. But when I went to insert my key it wouldn't connect. I put in all the manual values still nothing. I went to http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/.../b43#fw-b43-lp ( this link goes to the firmware for kernel 2.6.31 so look elsewhere on the page for your kernel. but it seems like this started with the 2.6.31 kernel.) Follow the instructions on installing the latest firmware. After a reboot I was able to connect. I tried taking out the manual values and just using DHCP but it doesn't connect for me. Its not ideal but it works and what more could you ask for?

Beans

I have also lost wifi since upgrading to 9.10. Computer is a Dell Inspiron 8200 with a mini-PCI Broadcom 4303 (using b43legacy driver). Otherwise results are the same as original poster's.

From the info in /var/log/messages, card is being turned off due to RF kill button (except the laptop has no RF kill button). Tried uninstalling and reinstalling the proprietary driver, but that didn't do anything. Is there any way to completely bypass the rfkill system so that the driver won't be expecting some non-existent button push?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

"Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chili555 View Post
    Please let us see, in order:
    Code:
    rfkill list
    sudo iwconfig wlan0 txpower auto
    rfkill list
    If this works, we will make it permanent.

bingo!!!!

I just upgraded the kernel in an oldish lappy and experienced this issue (Presario v5000 with push button wifi button) setting txpower to auto worked! (I have beeing trying every which way to change wifi settings..

This works for me and my broadcom 4318 (rev 2.0)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast