Thread: Elantech touchpad improperly recognized as “ImPS/2 Logitech Wheel Mouse”

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Elantech touchpad improperly recognized as “ImPS/2 Logitech Wheel Mouse”

Hello everyone!
    This is my first post. I hope I have posted it in the appropriate section.

Here is the problem I'm having:
    I just purchased the Asus K61IC-A1 laptop and installed Ubuntu 9.10 on it.
    Everything is now working properly with the exception of the Touchpad, which is made by Elantech.
    To clarify, the Touchpad does function correctly, but I cannot configure some of its properties.
    I want to disable 'click' on the pad, but when I go to System->Preferences->Mouse, there is no 'Touchpad' tab; which is where the 'Enable mouse clicks with touchpad' option is located.

I assume this is a driver/detection issue but I don't really know how to proceed.

I did find some information about Elantech touchpads in Ubuntu on eeepc's but it did not help, it just kept breaking X.

Here is the relevant section of my /proc/bus/input/devices (which shows the improper detection - i think!?) and my whole xorg.conf:

-------start /proc/bus/input/devices-------
    I: Bus=0011 Vendor=0002 Product=0005 Version=0063
    N: Name="ImPS/2 Logitech Wheel Mouse"
    P: Phys=isa0060/serio4/input0
    S: Sysfs=/devices/platform/i8042/serio4/input/input9
    U: Uniq=
    H: Handlers=mouse1 event9
    B: EV=7
    B: KEY=70000 0 0 0 0
    B: REL=103
    -------end /proc/bus/input/devices-------

-------start xorg.conf-------
    Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Default Screen"
    DefaultDepth 24
    EndSection
    Section "Module"
    Load "glx"
    EndSection
    Section "Device"
    Identifier "Default Device"
    Driver "nvidia"
    Option "NoLogo" "True"
    EndSection
    -------end xorg.conf-------

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Re: Elantech touchpad improperly recognized as “ImPS/2 Logitech Wheel Mouse”

Affects me on my Dell Mini 10 (1010.)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Any solution found yet?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Solution found for me in Karmic.

I have an Asus U81 (Best Buy version of the U80) which has the Elantech mousepad.

A friend shared this solution.

9.10 includes an X configuration utility called xinput. It is a command line tool. To see the many things you can do with this simply type xinput at a shell prompt.

Start by typing in:
    xinput list
    This will show you all the input devices attached to your computer. You will need to know your mousepad's id to continue. On My Asus laptop the internal pointer was found as a "ImPS/2 Logitech Wheel Mouse". The Id I get after booting my system with my external mouse attached is 10.

Next you need to know how to disable the mousepad. So you need to know what properties it supports. the command is "xinput list-props" followed by your mousepad's id number, which for me was:
    xinput list-props 10
    The "Device Enabled" was what I needed to be able to use to switch it off. On my laptop this line was "Device Enabled (97): 1". The parenthesized number is the properties id number, the 1 that follows it is the value (0 will turn it off).

So now I need to set it such that the mousepad is disabled. My mousepad id is 10, property id I want to set is 97 and I need to set the property value to be 0. The option for xinput is set-int-prop which needs deviceid, propertyid, format of the value (8, 16, or 32 bit), and the value itself. For me this is:
    xinput set-int-prop 10 97 8 0
    To turn it back on:
    xinput set-int-prop 10 97 8 1
    Since this does its work on the X in memory it is not persistent. If you log out and back in the mousepad will be active again. This is desired behavior for me as I occasionally need to be able to use the laptop without my external mouse.

When I get a little time, I will write a small shell script that can toggle it on or off based on a grep of the output of "xinput list" and bind it to a key combination so I can do this without having to drop out to a script. (EDIT NOTE: See post #15 in this thread if you want the scripts)

One last note, xinput interacts with X. It will not be able to function at a normal terminal screen not running under your X. It will work just fine in an xterminal (the one under accessories menu).

Gram
    Last edited by sg3524; January 10th, 2010 at 08:20 PM.

Beans

sg3524,

Thank you. Works great. I made a slight modification that I believe is a little more robust. Instead of using the id, use the actual string:

xinput set-int-prop "ImPS/2 Logitech Wheel Mouse" 97 8 0

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by c901906 View Post
    sg3524,

Thank you. Works great. I made a slight modification that I believe is a little more robust. Instead of using the id, use the actual string:

xinput set-int-prop "ImPS/2 Logitech Wheel Mouse" 97 8 0
    That's actually a lot better solution. I should have tried that, since the id can change depending on the number of devices attached at boot time.

Thanks for posting it!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

ive been wrestling with this for a while. Asus laptop, touchpad is identified as a PS2 mouse. All i want to do is enable the "disable touchpad while typing" function as im ALWAYS lightly brushing it and end up typing somewhere other than what i want.

Its a elantech and any help on this matter would be HUGELY appreciated.

karmic 9.10 x86_64 - 2.6.31-16

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sg3524 View Post
    Solution found for me in Karmic.

I have an Asus U81 (Best Buy version of the U80) which has the Elantech mousepad.

A friend shared this solution.

9.10 includes an X configuration utility called xinput. It is a command line tool. To see the many things you can do with this simply type xinput at a shell prompt.

Start by typing in:

This will show you all the input devices attached to your computer. You will need to know your mousepad's id to continue. On My Asus laptop the internal pointer was found as a "ImPS/2 Logitech Wheel Mouse". The Id I get after booting my system with my external mouse attached is 10.

Next you need to know how to disable the mousepad. So you need to know what properties it supports. the command is "xinput list-props" followed by your mousepad's id number, which for me was:

The "Device Enabled" was what I needed to be able to use to switch it off. On my laptop this line was "Device Enabled (97): 1". The parenthesized number is the properties id number, the 1 that follows it is the value (0 will turn it off).

So now I need to set it such that the mousepad is disabled. My mousepad id is 10, property id I want to set is 97 and I need to set the property value to be 0. The option for xinput is set-int-prop which needs deviceid, propertyid, format of the value (8, 16, or 32 bit), and the value itself. For me this is:

To turn it back on:

Since this does its work on the X in memory it is not persistent. If you log out and back in the mousepad will be active again. This is desired behavior for me as I occasionally need to be able to use the laptop without my external mouse.

When I get a little time, I will write a small shell script that can toggle it on or off based on a grep of the output of "xinput list" and bind it to a key combination so I can do this without having to drop out to a script. (EDIT NOTE: See post #15 in this thread if you want the scripts)

One last note, xinput interacts with X. It will not be able to function at a normal terminal screen not running under your X. It will work just fine in an xterminal (the one under accessories menu).

Gram
    Thanks a lot.It helped me on my ASUS k40AB