Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Elantech touchpad improperly recognized as “ImPS/2 Logitech Wheel Mouse”

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Elantech touchpad improperly recognized as “ImPS/2 Logitech Wheel Mouse”

http://people.fedoraproject.org/~jwr....4-test.tar.gz
    from hdegoede@redhat.com
    1. Install
    ===========

Howto install and test libv4l depends on your system. There are
    different instructions for if you have a 32 bit system or a 64 bit system.
    which is using multilib. A 64 bit system without multilib is the same as
    a 32 bit system.

To find out what you have do:
    ls -d /usr/lib64

If this command gives a "No such file or directory" error, use the
    Non multilib instructions, if the second command is successfull, you have multilib,
    to find out which version (dubbed Fedora and Ubuntu multilib, because those are
    the most well known examples, do):

ls -d /usr/lib32
    If this command gives a "No such file or directory" error, use the Fedora multilib
    instructions. If this command succeeds use the Ubuntu multilib instructions

Non multilib instructions:
    -------------------------------
    tar xvfz libv4l-<version>.tar.gz
    cd libv4l-<version>
    make PREFIX=/usr
    sudo make install PREFIX=/usr

Fedora Multilib instructions:
    -----------------------------------
    Basic 64 bit install:
    cd libv4l-<version>
    make PREFIX=/usr LIBDIR=/usr/lib64
    sudo make install PREFIX=/usr LIBDIR=/usr/lib64

If you also want to use 32 bit apps (such as skype), you
    will need to have the 32 bit libc headers installed, on Fedora
    this can be done like this:
    Fedora 10-: "sudo yum install glibc-devel.i386"
    Fedora 11: "sudo yum install glibc-devel.i586"
    Fedora 12+: "sudo yum install glibc-devel.i686"
    Then do:
    make clean
    make PREFIX=/usr CFLAGS=-m32 LDFLAGS=-m32

Ubuntu Multilib instructions:
    -----------------------------------
    cd libv4l-<version>
    make PREFIX=/usr

If you also want to use 32 bit apps (such as skype), you
    will need to have the 32 bit libc headers installed, on Ubuntu
    this can be done like this:
    sudo apt-get install libc6-dev-i386
    Then do:
    make clean
    make PREFIX=/usr CFLAGS=-m32 LDFLAGS=-m32 LIBDIR=/usr/lib32
    sudo make install PREFIX=/usr LIBDIR=/usr/lib32

2. Testing
    ========
    You have a chance that your webcam app use libv4l or have an appropriate
    script starting it. In that case you don't have to do anything. Just run
    the application. This is the most common situation with Ubuntu and Fedora
    packages. If your problem remains unsolved, then your app might not use libv4l.
    In that case start the application from a terminal like this:

Non multilib:
    ----------------
    LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so <your favorite webcam app>

Note on Ubuntu sometimes skype is using a wrapper script, so if skype
    does not work try:
    LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype.real

Fedora multilib:
    --------------------
    For 64 bit applications (allmost all apps):
    LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib64/libv4l/v4l1compat.so <your favorite webcam app>

For 32 bit applications (you only need it for proprietary softwares, which
    don't have a 64 bit version, like skype):
    LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype

Ubuntu multilib:
    --------------------
    For 64 bit applications (allmost all apps):
    LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib64/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype

For 32 bit applications (you only need it for proprietary softwares, which
    don't have a 64 bit version, like skype):
    LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib32/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype

Note on Ubuntu sometimes skype is using a wrapper script, so if skype
    does not work try:
    LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib32/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype.real

Please let me know if this version of libv4l turns the image the
    right way up for you.

If not, please do:
    cat /sys/devices/virtual/dmi/id/board_name > name.txt
    cat /sys/devices/virtual/dmi/id/board_vendor > vendor.txt

And mail the 2 created files to me. It is important to use the
    ">" operator here, as I need any whitespace inside this files
    exactly as is.

Beans

Thanks QuanTime but that did not work. In fact now when I run the webcam in skype or vlc the program crashes. gstreamer-properties displays the webcam fine but it is still flipped. How do I undo those steps?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

not sure on how to roll-back.. BUT do what is explained in this post:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...&postcount=197
    And you might wanna read that thread.. But either way, its how i got my result.. He is the dev for the libv4l (library Video for linux).
    Hope that helps you some..

Beans

Ok I got the webcam sorted out. Thanks to Hans on this thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...14#post8579914

The touchpad is driving me nuts though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Fix--: Elantech touchpad improperly recognized as “ImPS/2 Logitech Wheel Mouse”

I wrote a couple of shell scripts to turn the touch pad off and back on using the methodology I posted in a previous post. The only change was to use the device name rather than device id as c901906 suggested in the post following mine.

If you want to use these scripts you will need run "xinput list" and make sure your touch pad is identified (as mine is) as a "ImPS/2 Logitech Wheel Mouse". If it is not, you can modify these two scripts to use the device name your touch pad is recognized as.

Download the tar file I attached to this post.

Untar the files to a location somewhere in your home directory (mine are in ~/applications/mouse directory). Make sure both files are executable (chmod 775 filename).

Then go into keyboard shortcuts under System->Preferences and add two shortcuts. I called mine EnableTouchPad and DisableTouchPad. For each put in the paths to the appropriate script for each command.

So in mine, I created EnableTouchPad shortcut with the command /home/username/applications/mouse/enable-tp.sh, and DisableTouchPad with the command /home/username/applications/mouse/disable-tp.sh .

Then in the list of shortcuts, got to your new shortcuts and click on the right column where it says "disabled". Then press the key combination you want to user for that shortcut. In my case I use control-alt-0 to disable the touchpad and control-alt-1 to enable it.

Now I can disable the touch pad at any time by using the key combination control-alt-0 . If I need to enable it I use the key combination control-alt-1 .

Works like a champ.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by sg3524; January 10th, 2010 at 08:14 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

thats not a bad solution.. But i would still prefer it to disable only while i was typing. Would make like much easier.

Such is life i guess. Thanks heaps for your app, ive not tried it yet, but ill give it a whirl at some point..

Beans

The script does not work on my machine. Even if I just run the command "xinput set-int-prop "ImPS/2 Logitech Wheel Mouse" 97 8 0" It does not work. I tried it as sudo and I tried using the id number instead of the string and no luck.

xinput list gives me this:

Code:
    "ImPS/2 Logitech Wheel Mouse"	id=2	[XExtensionPointer]
    	Type is MOUSE
    	Num_buttons is 7
    	Num_axes is 2
    	Mode is Relative
    	Motion_buffer is 256
    	Axis 0 :
    		Min_value is -1
    		Max_value is -1
    		Resolution is 1
    	Axis 1 :
    		Min_value is -1
    		Max_value is -1
    		Resolution is 1
    Weird. Its not the solution I need though anyway but it would be helpful. Why does syndaemon not work with the Elantech touchpad? This touchpad is driving me crazy!!! It screws up everything I type, it is happening right now.

Beans

I've had some unnatural things happening with my touchpad. It was moving all around the screen and clicking randomly. It opened programs and stuff. The madness continued even after I put the laptop down and was not touching it.

This happened today and yesterday. Yesterday it stopped on its own and today I had to reboot.

Not only is my touchpad not recognized properly it is apparently cursed too.

WTF?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sg3524 View Post
    Solution found for me in Karmic.

I have an Asus U81 (Best Buy version of the U80) which has the Elantech mousepad.

A friend shared this solution.

9.10 includes an X configuration utility called xinput. It is a command line tool. To see the many things you can do with this simply type xinput at a shell prompt.

Start by typing in:

This will show you all the input devices attached to your computer. You will need to know your mousepad's id to continue. On My Asus laptop the internal pointer was found as a "ImPS/2 Logitech Wheel Mouse". The Id I get after booting my system with my external mouse attached is 10.

Next you need to know how to disable the mousepad. So you need to know what properties it supports. the command is "xinput list-props" followed by your mousepad's id number, which for me was:

The "Device Enabled" was what I needed to be able to use to switch it off. On my laptop this line was "Device Enabled (97): 1". The parenthesized number is the properties id number, the 1 that follows it is the value (0 will turn it off).

So now I need to set it such that the mousepad is disabled. My mousepad id is 10, property id I want to set is 97 and I need to set the property value to be 0. The option for xinput is set-int-prop which needs deviceid, propertyid, format of the value (8, 16, or 32 bit), and the value itself. For me this is:

To turn it back on:

Since this does its work on the X in memory it is not persistent. If you log out and back in the mousepad will be active again. This is desired behavior for me as I occasionally need to be able to use the laptop without my external mouse.

When I get a little time, I will write a small shell script that can toggle it on or off based on a grep of the output of "xinput list" and bind it to a key combination so I can do this without having to drop out to a script. (EDIT NOTE: See post #15 in this thread if you want the scripts)

One last note, xinput interacts with X. It will not be able to function at a normal terminal screen not running under your X. It will work just fine in an xterminal (the one under accessories menu).

Gram
    Thanks a lot.It helped me on my ASUS k40AB

Smile Re: Elantech touchpad improperly recognized as “ImPS/2 Logitech Wheel Mouse”

Quote Originally Posted by QuanTime View Post
    thats not a bad solution.. But i would still prefer it to disable only while i was typing. Would make like much easier.

Such is life i guess. Thanks heaps for your app, ive not tried it yet, but ill give it a whirl at some point..
    I installed and ran touchfreeze from the Canonical repositories and that seemed to work fine for my MSI Wind U123 after everything else I tried failed. It defaults to 0.5 second delay - I increased to 2 seconds (which is the max setting) and added an entry for it in my startup programs.
    I <3 my Debian + Drupal webserver: Fated to End Sometime

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast