Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Elantech touchpad improperly recognized as “ImPS/2 Logitech Wheel Mouse”

Beans

Re: Elantech touchpad improperly recognized as “ImPS/2 Logitech Wheel Mouse”

Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere, but I could not find it: Every time I 'upgrade' my kernel I have to re-install the patch. Is there a way to avoid that? Sorry I am new to Linux so a step-by-step explanation will be much appreciated. Thank you!
    Winnipeg ROCKS!

Beans

The patch is for the psmouse kernel module, and kernel modules are specific to kernel versions, so there is no way around that, unless you were on a kernel 2.6.34 or newer that has the patch rolled in.

Beans

Hello, ALLurGroceries
    I don't' know, why, but after update on 10.10 script for switching touchpad by Fn+F9 doesn't work.
    I didn't change anything, new kernel is 2.6.35-22-generic, amd64 version
    Commands
    Code:
    xinput set-int-prop 13 "Synaptics Off" 8 0
    and
    xinput set-int-prop 13 "Synaptics Off" 8 1
    is switch on and switch off TP...
    What I do wrong? =)

Beans

Hi Felixoid,

It looks like they've stripped out most of the script in the acpi-support package for 10.10. If you change line 10 of /etc/acpi/asus-touchpad.sh to this it works for me (on Debian Sid, no guarantees it'll work for you ):

Code:
    XINPUTNUM=`xinput list | grep 'ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad' | sed -n -e's/.*id=\([0-9]\+\).*/\1/p'`
    Basically just change 'SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad' to 'ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad'.

Beans

I tried do this. My asus-toushpad.sh looked like this:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    [ -f /usr/share/acpi-support/state-funcs ] || exit 0 

. /usr/share/acpi-support/power-funcs

if (! test -x /usr/bin/xinput)
    then
    logger "Error: Please install package xinput to enable toggling of touchpad devices."
    exit 0
    fi

# if this is the right behavior, then this should be moved out of acpi-support
    # to hal (or whatever is replacing hal for such events)
    getXconsole

XINPUTNUM=`xinput list | grep 'ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad' | sed -n -e's/.*id=\([0-9]\+\).*/\1/p'`

[ -f /usr/share/acpi-support/state-funcs ] || exit 0

# get the current state of the touchpad
    TPSTATUS=`xinput list-props $XINPUTNUM | awk '/Synaptics Off/ { print $NF }'`

# if getting the status failed, exit
    test -z $TPSTATUS && exit 1

if [ $TPSTATUS = 0 ]; then
       sinp=`ps -A|grep syndaemon| awk '{print$1}'`
       xinput set-int-prop $XINPUTNUM "Synaptics Off" 8 1
       kill $sinp
       if [ -e /sys/class/leds/asus::touchpad/brightness ]; then
            echo 0 > /sys/class/leds/asus::touchpad/brightness
       fi
    else
       xinput set-int-prop $XINPUTNUM "Synaptics Off" 8 0
       syndaemon -i 1 -d
       if [ -e /sys/class/leds/asus::touchpad/brightness ]; then
            echo 1 > /sys/class/leds/asus::touchpad/brightness
       fi
    fi
    and now i changed it to original with replace line 10.
    Nothing chanched. By Fn+F9 is no reaction.

add
    Thanks for help =)
    on forum.ubuntu.ru found fix
    in gconf-editor change /apps/gnome_settings_daemon/keybindings/touchpad on XF86Tools
    Last edited by Felixoid; November 11th, 2010 at 12:33 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Easy fix and working, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Felixoid View Post
    add
    Thanks for help =)
    on forum.ubuntu.ru found fix
    in gconf-editor change /apps/gnome_settings_daemon/keybindings/touchpad on XF86Tools

Beans

ALLurGroceries,

I just bought a Samsung QX410, and I have been unable to get the trackpad working. I was told that your patch had already been applied to the kernel, but I'm not sure if that is true or not. I tried applying it myself, but I kept getting a hunk error, or something like that.

Any info on the situation would be appreciated. I do not have a tab in Mouse Preferences for configuring my touchpad, and I would really like to enable scrolling.

Thanks.

Beans

@ GoogleyEyes: I've seen the newer Samsungs mentioned in bug reports. On a kernel since 2.6.34 the patches will fail to apply. Assuming you've set force_elantech=1, try the steps I outlined in this post and post the text from your syslog that should show up. My guess is that the version "magic" for these is again different, which was one of the problems that these patches fixed. Since there is no public documentation for these touchpads, each new revision seems to be broken until enough info is found by poking at it.

Beans

ALLurGroceries,

Sorry, but I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I created /etc/modprobe.d/psmouse.conf and added the line to it. I also ran the command sudo modprobe -v psmouse force_elantech=1, but when I ran grep -i elantech /var/log/syslog, nothing showed up. Elantech is not anywhere is the log file. Is there something that I missed? I've read through the thread, but it's pretty long and I may have missed something.

If you could walk me through what I'm doing wrong, I would really appreciate it. This is the only place I've found that anyone has any sort of idea of how to fix this problem.

Thanks again.

Beans

Ur not doing anything wrong but the touchpad is not identifying itself as elan. Are you positive u have an elan touchpad? In the other os you would have an elan branded mouse control panel.

Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast