Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Elantech touchpad improperly recognized as “ImPS/2 Logitech Wheel Mouse”

Beans

Re: Elantech touchpad improperly recognized as “ImPS/2 Logitech Wheel Mouse”

Quote Originally Posted by absolutezero1287 View Post
    I have the same touchpad on my Lenovo Ideapad Z560. What worked for me was the following:
    Code:
    sudo rmmod psmouse
    sudo modprobe psmouse proto=imps
    In order to make the change permanent you must add a file to /etc/modprobe.d/. The file must have .conf at the end. I named my file touchpad.conf. The file must have the following line:
    options psmouse proto=imps

Hope this helps.
    The idea of this thread is to get away from ImPS/2 Logitech Wheel mouse because it's the wrong protocol for elantech... Are you sure it's an elantech touchpad in your thinkpad? I thought they used true Synaptics or Alps.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ALLurGroceries View Post
    The idea of this thread is to get away from ImPS/2 Logitech Wheel mouse because it's the wrong protocol for elantech... Are you sure it's an elantech touchpad in your thinkpad? I thought they used true Synaptics or Alps.
    I'm positive that my touchpad is elantech. I never said that my solution was a permanent one but it works. Either way, I don't really care because my touchpad works fine. I can scroll up and down, double click with the touchpad, and everything. It works the way a touchpad should. Why not test it? What's the worse that could happen from loading and unloading a module with different arguments?

Edit:

Code:
    root@satori:/etc/modprobe.d# grep -i elantech /var/log/messages 
    Sep 12 06:45:26 satori kernel: [    7.065055] elantech.c: assuming hardware version 1, firmware version 20.0
    Sep 12 06:45:26 satori kernel: [    7.144405] elantech.c: Synaptics capabilities query result 0x68, 0x18, 0x0c.
    Sep 12 06:45:26 satori kernel: [    7.610458] input: ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad as /devices/platform/i8042/serio1/input/input8
    Sep 12 08:01:10 satori kernel: [    9.420876] elantech.c: assuming hardware version 1, firmware version 20.0
    Sep 12 08:01:10 satori kernel: [    9.480618] elantech.c: Synaptics capabilities query result 0x68, 0x18, 0x0c.
    Sep 12 08:01:10 satori kernel: [    9.926175] input: ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad as /devices/platform/i8042/serio1/input/input8
    Last edited by absolutezero1287; September 14th, 2010 at 09:00 PM. Reason: I hope this proves that I know what I'm doing!
    Ubuntu unleashed

If you're unsure what a command does then type
    Code:
    man command

Beans

LOL I didn't mean to get you all flustered, I see you have an elantech touchpad, I didn't know lenovo was using them. Anyway, there are patches for this, so the issue has been resolved for some time, the thread really should be [SOLVED].

I'll post the link again, since it tends to get lost in all these replies: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...1&postcount=44

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by ALLurGroceries View Post
    You're on a dell mini, did you force the version by manually editing the patch as in step 5.5?

In the output from
    Code:
    grep -i elantech /var/log/messages
    You should see lines like 'elantech: assuming hardware version...' and 'synaptics capabilities query result'.
    I did force the version as instructed, but there is no mention of 'elantec in messages'. In fact, 'grep -i elantech /var/log/*' returns nothing.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mikewhatever View Post
    I did force the version as instructed, but there is no mention of 'elantec in messages'. In fact, 'grep -i elantech /var/log/*' returns nothing.
    Hm, try tailing messages when you insmod.. in one window:
    Code:
    tail -f /var/log/messages
    In another, cd to your linux source directory and:
    Code:
    sudo modprobe -r psmouse
    sudo insmod drivers/input/mouse/psmouse.ko
    If it gives an error, you'll have a clue, or if it says ImPS/2 there's a problem somewhere, double check your patched file (or start from scratch).

Bender2k14 posted a patch here that you could use after the other patches. But it's the same thing as editing it manually.

If your mouse stops working:
    Code:
    sudo modprobe -r psmouse;sudo modprobe psmouse

Beans
    Distro

Did this:
    sudo modprobe -r psmouse
    sudo insmod drivers/input/mouse/psmouse.ko

and the only output in 'messages' is as follows:

[36014.316381] input: ImPS/2 Logitech Wheel Mouse as /devices/platform/i8042/serio1/input/input10
    I'll try the whole thing again.

Beans
    Distro

Redone, yet the result is as described earlier.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mikewhatever View Post
    Redone, yet the result is as described earlier.
    Ah, patchwork.kernel.org is down. That's probably why -- your patch files are probably empty, yeah?

I uploaded a copy of the patched file, from your kernel source directory:
    Code:
    wget -O drivers/input/mouse/elantech.c http://pastebin.com/download.php?i=i6uPx1vb
    This replaces step 5. You'll still need to edit it to force version 2 as in step 5.5.

To be absolutely sure that step 6 works, you should first delete the old object files from the previous build:
    Code:
    rm drivers/input/mouse/*.o

Beans
    Distro

Hm..., no, the patch files are not empty. All four have stuff in them.

Beans

Thanks so much! Worked great on my dell mini 10. Much appreciated.

Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast