Thread: Interface/Hardware set up for Ubuntu Studio.

Beans

Interface/Hardware set up for Ubuntu Studio.

Beforehand, I would like to mention that I am a Linux beginner. I do however have some years of experience using Ubuntu for regular tasks (web browsing, listening to tunes, etc). Recently I picked up a book on learning how to use the command line and am still learning. With that said, I can follow instructions properly.

I produce electronic music on a Windows machine. Using Fruity Loops, Adobe Audition and a Tascam USB Interface to hook up my keyboard, decks, drum machine and do some recordings. This is the basic set up I use in my room, as I mostly use soft synths and inside the box components.

Since I've been introduced to Ubuntu I instantly fell in love, but I never settled in on deciding to dedicate it to music production. Until recently that is. I bought a Sable Complete system from System 76 with enough specs to handle my duties, I installed Ubuntu Studio on it, and my god was I impressed with the choice of apps haha! I gave away my windows machine with all of the peripherals I had to a good friend of mine who has begun producing music so basically I'm starting from zero on hardware.

I want to know what's compatible/supported by Ubuntu Studio when it comes to outboard hardware, specifically an interface. Either USB or PCI (prefer USB). The specs it would have to meet, very basic. I need to hook up a MIDI controller to it, as well as two mics.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Interface/Hardware set up for Ubuntu Studio.

I've always like the older, M-Audio products, like the Delta66 card. You can find used ones on craigslist. Decent linux support:

tgalati4@Dell600m-mint14 ~ $ apt-cache search envy
    alsa-tools-gui - GUI based ALSA utilities for specific hardware
    mudita24 - ALSA GUI control tool for Envy24 (ice1712) soundcards
    mudita24-dbg - Debugging symbols for mudita24
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans

I'll second the call for an M-audio DELTA card. They are nice little units. If you get the regular card then you'll need a couple of pre-amps for the mics. If you can find one with an OMNI breakout box they have a couple of pre-amps built in and will do you proud with no additional expenditure (but they are rare!).

Other than that have a look on the alsa compatability list http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Main if its not on the list - be very wary! And have a good look at the notes on what works for each card and what doesnt. Some cards have parial support so not all features will work.

Happy hunting.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I have the omni breakout box and it's clean. Good for semipro recording. I will not sell it, sorry. (But keep looking!)
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

The Edirol ua25-ex external usb sound card seems to be quite popular.