Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eject Button Not Working

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Eject Button Not Working

I have a Dell Studio 1555 notebook with slot load optical drive. the eject button is a key on the main keyboard. (see attached pic)
    The key worked OK for a couple of days after install. It did not work at all in Jaunty. However, today it stopped working altogether. xev does not map it so I am forced to use a custom shortcut( super+e). Is there a way to patch this problem as I have decided to use Ubuntu as my mainstream OS and I would really like it if my laptop was fully functional.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Re: Eject Button Not Working

same issue! i am new to linux altogether so i dont even know how to configure shortcuts as
    you did! my only way is to rightclick on the mounted image of the cd/dvd then eject.
    any help?
    thnx in advance

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Usually when Linux is using the CD drive it won't "let go" of the drive, and so pushing the button does nothing.

Try going to Places > Computer and right clicking the drive and selecting "unmount" or try running the command "umount -a" which will automatically unmount everything not required for the system to run.

After your sure the drive is unmounted, try ejecting the disk again. I've had this problem lots of times and I finally figured out it was because Linux was still using the drive -_-
    Can't sleep.....must....compile......kernel.........

Beans
    Distro

I have a Dell Precision M90 that I just fitted a slot drive to. I have the same issue, and the 'unmount first' workaround fixes the problem. But I never had this problem with the previous drive which is of the drawer type. I thought ejecting unmounted it first?

EDIT: If I right click and select eject without unmounting first, it does eject. In fact, every eject method works (without unmounting) except the keyboard shortcut.
    Last edited by phenest; December 15th, 2009 at 10:45 AM.
    "Knowledge is power. Who said that?" - Dave Lister

Beans
    Distro

Bump!!
    Dell Studio 1555
    Intel P8600 2.4 GHz, 4GB DDR2 800MHz RAM, 512 MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570, 320GB 5400 RPM WD Blue Scorpio

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I think this is an ACPI related issue. I just recently got a Dell Studio 15, and the special brightness, volume control and eject keys often stop working. These are controlled by ACPI. There are various combinations of boot options to use, such as 'noapic', 'nolapic', 'acpi=force' that I have had marginal success in getting ACPI to stay on. As of right now ACPI has been working for a few days now, but it will go out without warning and will stay out until i reboot.
    Can't sleep.....must....compile......kernel.........

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

does

Code:
    eject
    work?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by DestructionsRightHand View Post
    does

Code:
    eject
    work?
    yes
    Dell Studio 1555
    Intel P8600 2.4 GHz, 4GB DDR2 800MHz RAM, 512 MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570, 320GB 5400 RPM WD Blue Scorpio

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by v1nsai View Post
    I think this is an ACPI related issue. I just recently got a Dell Studio 15, and the special brightness, volume control and eject keys often stop working. These are controlled by ACPI. There are various combinations of boot options to use, such as 'noapic', 'nolapic', 'acpi=force' that I have had marginal success in getting ACPI to stay on. As of right now ACPI has been working for a few days now, but it will go out without warning and will stay out until i reboot.
    ACPI != APIC

Please don't confuse these unrelated acronyms.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for clarification. Any suggestions?
    Dell Studio 1555

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast